Ottery team net Redfern Trophy success
- Credit: Archant
There was further success for an Ottery team, last week, writes Michael Smith.
It came with success in the club’s own organised ‘Redfern Trophy’ with an Ottery team winning it.
The team of Richard Chapple, Dave Brown,Terri Ward and skip Norman Lawrence took the honours with a fine plus 24 shot difference, closely followed by another Ottery team, last years winners Sharon Kenny, Chris Hawke, Peter Jones and skip Shirley Fewtrell who recorded a plus 22 score.
In other club news, in the County Trophy, Ottery went down two-one on rinks with another drawn in their match with Sidmouth.
The sole winning rink for Ottery was the one of Richard Bland, Dave Brown, John Pethick and skip John Ward who won 18-13.
You may also want to watch:
Ottery ladies had a better week and they secured a fine away victory at Madeira in the LOFTL, winning on both rinks, the best being Terri Ward, Joan Saunders and skip Gail Hawke, 31-15.
In the Exeter and District Over-60s Triples League, Ottery A continue to haul themselves away from the bottom of Division Two after they banked another fine six point away victory at high-flying Tiverton West End A.
- 1 Two Sidmouth gardens set to open to the public this bank holiday
- 2 High Street beckons for hobbyists emerging from lockdown
- 3 SRC mighty six take on Sid Valley Ring half-marathon
- 4 General Buller's statue in Exeter stay or go?
- 5 Here come the Red Arrows! Things are looking up for town
- 6 College launches two new fundraising appeals
- 7 Mixed weekend for Sidmouth and Ottery Hockey
- 8 Property of the Week: Flat 2 Bedford
- 9 New team on frontline for mental health care and support
- 10 Rain ruins the cricketing weekend
The success was very much down to an excellent 27-15 victory by Terry House, Chris Hawke and skip John Pethick.
However, the B team tripped up again, losing on both rinks away to Pinces Gardens, but still hang on to top spot.
The C team lost to Seaton C, but managed to win on one rink with Graham White, Brian Salter and skip Fred Dart having a 18-15 success.
The week ended with a very enjoyable friendly at home to Chudleigh, on a glorious sunny day the visitors proved too strong taking all five rinks.
Friday club nights continue to attract new players to the sport, and with just six weeks to go to the end of the season, there is still time to try your hand, come along to the club in Strawberry Lane from 6pm and all coaching and equipment will be provided.
Please wear flat shoes or trainers, for more information contact Mike Smith on 01404 811195.