Ottery teams land another clean sweep of Over-60s Triples League success
- Credit: Archant
It was another great week in the Ottery St Mary Over-60s League teams with all four sides winning their respective matches for the second successive week, writes Michael Smith.
The A team banked maximum points from their visit to Feniton A where Richard Bland, Peter Jones and skip Terry House secured a convincing 30-16 success.
The B team also bagged maximum points, in their case, from a thumping 62-16 win against Tiverton West End C and, in this match, Tony Bushell, Ray Luscombe and skip Ron Cook had the best rink, 32-6. The C team continued their perfect start to the season with another eight points, this time gained at the expense of visiting Sidmouth C, who they defeated 40-27 with the rink of George Hutchinson, Norman Lawrence and skip Dave Rose, winning 19-11.
Completing another clean sweep were the D team, who were 39-30 home winners over Wellington C. The rinks were shared in this match, but there was a fine 25-12 win for Maurice Flower, Ken Dennis and skip Mike Smith.
Ottery men were knocked out of the Top Club event, losing 4-1 at home to Seaton. The sole home success was a 19-8 victory for Mike Smith in the two-wood singles.
You may also want to watch:
To end the week Ottery celebrated President’s Day with six rinks taking to the green on a glorious Sunday afternoon.
Club president Maggie Beighton hosted the event and very generously donated a fine meal for some 55 members after the match. Maggie also donated all monies raised on the day to the club funds, amounting to almost £500 - many thanks to Maggie for organising a great day.
- 1 Stuart Hughes retains Sidmouth county council seat
- 2 Jess Bailey secures a seat at Devon County Council
- 3 Reid family follow in the footsteps of Sir Captain Tom
- 4 Tributes paid to GP who dedicated 36 years to Sid Valley patients
- 5 Sidmouth candidates looking for your vote at the County Council elections
- 6 Run for donkeys in the world’s biggest marathon
- 7 Three Barbaras and a dog move in at Lockyer Lodge
- 8 12 countries announced on travel green list from May 17
- 9 Festival will bring a much-needed boost to the town
- 10 Initial details revealed for this year's week-long Folk Festival
Friday club nights continue to flourish with many new members taking part. If you would like to try your hand just come along to the club from about 6pm where all coaching and equipment will be provided, just check out our website at otterystmarybowlingclub.com or contact Mike Smith on 01404 811195 for more details.