Ottery win derby meeting with Honiton and stay top with five games remaining
- Credit: Archant
Ottery St Mary took the honours as they overcame visitors Honiton in the Devon Petanque League, East Devon derby in midweek, writes Chris Bigmore.
They won 3-2 in a closely fought match that saw them strengthen their grip at the top of the Devon League.
The Otters seemed to be in firm control after the triples round with Peter Smith and John and Rose Thatcher winning their game 13-4 in fairly quick fashion over Honiton's Ron Hutchinson with Den and Carol Williams.
The second game was a tighter affair with the visiting trio of Chris Bigmore, Jenny Lavender and Cecily Young eventually succumbing 13-10 to Paul Puddicombe, Susan Smith and Keith Tizzard.
At the halfway stage, the hosts led 2-0 with the match seeming to be going the way of the form book, but Honiton fought hard in the doubles round to make the table toppers earn their victory, and they actually led in all three doubles around midway through the round.
You may also want to watch:
First game to finish saw Honiton's Den and Carol Williams lead the way with a decisive 13-3 win over John and Rose Thatcher to half the deficit.
With the home pair of Paul Puddicombe and Susan Smith down 10-3 to Ron Hutchinson and Jenny Lavender it looked like the match would rest on the one remaining doubles game - however the Ottery pair then staged a fine comeback and took the game 13-11.
- 1 Two Sidmouth gardens set to open to the public this bank holiday
- 2 High Street beckons for hobbyists emerging from lockdown
- 3 General Buller's statue in Exeter stay or go?
- 4 SRC mighty six take on Sid Valley Ring half-marathon
- 5 Here come the Red Arrows! Things are looking up for town
- 6 College launches two new fundraising appeals
- 7 Property of the Week: Flat 2 Bedford
- 8 Mixed weekend for Sidmouth and Ottery Hockey
- 9 Jess Bailey secures a seat at Devon County Council
- 10 Rain ruins the cricketing weekend
That win clinched the overall match for the home side, though the Honiton duo of Chris Bigmore and Cecily Young did beat Peter Smith and Keith Tizzard 13-10 in the final game to earn a losing bonus point..
Ottery have now chalked up 30 points in the league which gives them a commanding lead with just five matches left.
Honiton meanwhile, move into second place on 21, but with other fixtures in this round yet to be played that picture will alter.
Next up for both of the East Devon teams will be a daunting away trip as each of they will face both of the Plymouth based sides, who are currently showing good form.