Outstanding Ottery on fire over the opening weekend
- Credit: Ottery St Mary Cricket Club
Ottery St Mary are off to a winning start in C Division East of the Tolchards Devon Cricket League after a tense three-wicket victory at home to Exeter CC 2nds.
The visitors opted to bat first and a brilliant opening stand of 107 between Sebastian Linnitt and Michael Wilkinson put them in control of the early proceedings.
Wilkinson was eventually bowled by Daniel Alford for 42 but number three Patrick Elway continued the Exeter momentum with a 33 before being trapped leg before by Sam O’Nyons.
Ottery began to sniff weakness and Jody Clements rattled off three more quick wickets. Opener Linnitt remained in post, however, and finished with a terrific unbeaten 101, as Exeter reached a total of 225/5 from their 45 overs.
Taking inspiration from their opponents, the Ottery openers, Alex Clements and Neil Davey reached 96/0 before Clements was removed for 27. There was no budging Davey, as he marched on to a fabulous 107, with an impressive 86.29 strike rate.
Harsha Sinnappu Liyanage (21) and Tom Jeacock (24) provided some valuable assistance in the middle order but it still went down to the wire, as Ottery won the match with just one ball to spare.
The good news continued for the Ottery 2nds, who travelled to North Devon CC 3rds and came home with a comprehensive eight-wicket triumph, thanks to an inspired batting partnership between Jevin Isidore and Matthew Brewster.
- 1 Plan unveiled to restore 'magical' hidden garden in Sidmouth
- 2 Business breakfast aims to link up local professionals
- 3 Cost of living crisis how Sidmouth businesses are coping
- 4 Concern over Sainsburys parking restriction plans
- 5 Exeter cargo plane deemed 'beyond economical repair'
- 6 Gang responsible for bringing a kilo of drugs into Devon jailed for 23 years
- 7 Bugler needed for Sidmouth beacon lighting event
- 8 Actor James Pellow plants tree for Sidmouth Arboretum
- 9 Ottery residents struggling with Medical Centre absence
- 10 'Thank you' - Ukraine medic moved to tears by donations from Ottery
North Devon batted first and were quickly under pressure, as Will Sheaves removed opener Matthew Slade for a duck, caught by Jack Venables. Brett Venables picked up a couple of wickets and Dave Weeks was also on target before North Devon number five Jeremy Thompson offered some resistance with a 65.
The hosts rallied well down the order and set a respectable target of 225.
Respect went out the window when Ottery took on their reply. Despite losing Dan Flower for 21 and Dave Weeks for a duck, Isidore (105) and Brewster (88) were both unbeaten and the target reached inside 25 overs.
Ottery 2nds will host Topsham St James this weekend, while the Ottery first XI travel to Heathcoat 2nds.