Paget and Stone guide Sidbury to comfortable win over touring side The Greys
- Credit: Archant
Sidbury were six wicket winners when they entertained touring outfit The Greys.
The Brighton-based visitors, making their 11th consecutive visit to East Devon were greeted by ‘perfect’ cricketing conditions which were an extreme contrast to just seven days before when the Sidbury meeting with Not the MCC was abandoned shortly after the start owing to rain!
The match day sponsors were NDM Architects, who are into a second year of supporting the village side, and they had a sponsor board at the Millfield ground.
The fixture coincided with the Sidbury village fete and so the game enjoyed a larger than usual support as fete goers also too the opportunity to watch cricket in the wall-to-wall sunshine.
Sidbury skipper Simon Rowe won the toss and elected to bowl first in the 35-over game.
You may also want to watch:
Opening bowlers Alex Paget and Barney Stone bowled with good pace and accuracy restricting and frustrating the visiting side.Due to the hot weather the drinks were taken earlier than usual and, at the 15 over mark, the visitors were struggling on 30-2.
Sidbury maintained the pressure and wickets started to fall. Notable bowling performances from Dave Higgs, Steve Crick Josh Reed and Simon Rowe ensured that the away side could never cut loose and they were finally dismissed for 106.
- 1 Sidmouth candidates looking for your vote at the County Council elections
- 2 Three Barbaras and a dog move in at Lockyer Lodge
- 3 Town council vacancies to be filled at the ballot box
- 4 Fundraising heroine Diana is sitting pretty at 98
- 5 Otter Valley candidates get ready for County Council elections
- 6 Hotels are reopening soon - lets hope they can stay that way
- 7 The return of Covid to the streets of Sidmouth, and what St George did next!
- 8 Art shop thanks customers who have shown support
- 9 Tributes paid to GP who dedicated 36 years to Sid Valley patients
- 10 Paedophile hunters' sting in Sidbury leads to prosecution
In reply Sidbury batted well with both Phil Grove and Ben Pollard making solid starts seeing off the opening bowlers.
A couple of wickets then fell to give the home side some nervous moments, but Alex Paget and Barney Stone saw their side to a comfortable victory with just over 10 overs to spare.