Parsons close to hat-trick
Mannamead 1sts 3,
Sidmouth HC Ladies 1sts 2
A closely-contested battle between Sidmouth and Mannamead took place at Plymouth Barracks, writes Vicki Russell.
Sidmouth started well, controlling the play in the first 10 minutes which resulted in an excellent goal from Taryn Beauthin whose low shot was slotted in to the corner.
The wet and windy conditions on the exposed pitch proved a challenge but not for Mannamead, who intercepted any weak or loose balls and were soon level.
You may also want to watch:
The rest of the first half was end-to-end stuff as both sides strove to take the lead.
Mannamead somehow managed to put a further two excellent goals past the on-form and committed defence of Chloe Munn, Lea Pidgeon and Hayley Delasalle in goal. Delasalle made some first class saves to keep Sidmouth in contention.
- 1 'Battered and shattered' traders start to reopen their shops
- 2 Folk festival boosted by £97K grant from Culture Recovery Fund
- 3 Confidence grows for return of traditional high street
- 4 Sidmouth Youth Centre on a mission to help feed families
- 5 Sea Fest organisers remain optimistic for festival's return in 2022
- 6 Country owes a 'great debt' to The Duke of Edinburgh
- 7 We're open again! Town's traders welcome back shoppers
- 8 Different species of deer are part of our wildlife inheritance
- 9 It's our time to share our fortune and 'do our bit' as we start to re-open
- 10 Sidmouth seniors back in competitive action
Sidmouth came out fighting in the second half. Molly Adkin put in some awesome tackling and clearing of the ball, deserving her the Player of the Match award.
Jodie Parsons finally made the breakthrough they deserved as she got on the end of a short corner Lea Pidgeon strike and deflected it into the corner.
A further two great chances followed in much the same way and Parsons was very unlucky not to get her hat-trick and give Sidmouth the win.
Although the game ended in defeat, Sidmouth were pleased with the team performance and are looking forward to playing Exe 3 at Sidmouth College, 10.30am.