Percy Mitchell is first home
Beer Luggers: There was a light south westerly wind blowing when seven luggers launched from the beach for last Monday's race.
Beer Luggers: There was a light south westerly wind blowing when seven luggers launched from the beach for last Monday's race. There was a slight sea with the tide running up channel. First to cross the starting line was the Scrumpy.
By the time the luggers got to the windward mark, Percy Mitchell had taken the lead with Cuckoo in second place. Scrumpy had dropped back to fourth position.
During the second round, the Percy Mitchell still held the lead from Cuckoo and Sea Witch. The only lugger to improve was the Twilight who overtook Moondance for sixth place.
As the wind was dropping, the race officers decided to shorten the course. With the Percy Mitchell still holding the lead, she went on to win the race from Cuckoo and Sea Witch.
You may also want to watch:
Result: 1, Percy Mitchell sailed by D McCrea; 2, Cuckoo sailed by C Dart; 3, Sea Witch sailed by P Vine; 4, Scrumpy sailed by G Lockyer; 5, Mary sailed by D Boalch; 6, Twilight sailed by P Bagwell; 7, Katherine sailed by M Diplock.
Result by Handicap: 1st Cuckoo.
- 1 Sidmouth candidates looking for your vote at the County Council elections
- 2 Otter Valley candidates get ready for County Council elections
- 3 Can you help Ottery become plastic free?
- 4 Town council vacancies to be filled at the ballot box
- 5 Three Barbaras and a dog move in at Lockyer Lodge
- 6 Tributes paid to GP who dedicated 36 years to Sid Valley patients
- 7 Build Back Fairer by supporting Fairtrade in Sidmouth
- 8 Fundraising heroine Diana is sitting pretty at 98
- 9 Paedophile hunters' sting in Sidbury leads to prosecution
- 10 The return of Covid to the streets of Sidmouth, and what St George did next!
By John Mortimore