Percy Mitchell wins latest luggers race
SEVEN luggers launched from the beach for last Monday Evening’s race of the Beer Luggers Club, writes John Mortimer.
The fleet included the Club’s President, the ‘Ancient Mariner’ Robbie Driver.
There was a Westerly wind blowing on a calm sea and sunshine which provided ideal conditions for lugger racing.
First to break the starting line, sailing westwards to the windward buoy was the Percy Martin, closely followed by four other luggers in hot pursuit.
The Percy Mitchell was first to the mark, with Scrumpy and Sea Witch in second and third positions.
You may also want to watch:
Completing the first round of the race, the Percy Mitchell had increased her lead by some distance. The Twilight had come through to overhaul Sea Witch to take third place.
Coming up to the windward buoy during the second round of the race, Twilight overtook Scrumpy to command second place.
- 1 Former Ottery science technician celebrates her seventieth year
- 2 'Battered and shattered' traders start to reopen their shops
- 3 Different species of deer are part of our wildlife inheritance
- 4 Folk festival boosted by £97K grant from Culture Recovery Fund
- 5 Summer play season returns safe and sound after 'challenging year'
- 6 Confidence grows for return of traditional high street
- 7 Stepping out for charity in honour of Sir Captain Tom's legacy
- 8 Sidmouth Youth Centre on a mission to help feed families
- 9 Around the sitting room in 80 days with the amazing Diana, 98
- 10 It's our time to share our fortune and 'do our bit' as we start to re-open
Meanwhile, the Percy Mitchell was ever more increasing her lead from the rest. At this mark, three luggers, the Puffin, Sea Witch and Scrumpy, arrived at the buoy at the same time, which caused a lot of confusion. As a result, the Puffin came out of it best and put Scrumpy in fifth place.
Bringing up the rear of the fleet were Moondance and Katherine.
On the run to the finishing mark, the Puffin overhauled Sea Witch to take third place. It was only temporary as Sea Witch reclaimed the position. As Sea Witch was crossing the finishing line she, unfortunately, hit the mark which let Puffin back in again.
While all this was going on, the Percy Mitchell had crossed the line well in front and was nearly back on shore again.
Race result: 1, Percy Mitchell (A Green); 2, Twilight (P Bagwell); 3, Puffin (R Driver); 4, Scrumpy (G Lockyer); 5, Sea Witch (P Vine); 6, Moondance (E Burrows); 7, Katherine – Disqualified.