Perfect day for fishing
Sunday’s one-day boat competition, held by Sidmouth Sea Angling Club gave members a chance to target the summer species and enjoy a good bit of sport at the same time.
Everyone was happy to hear that black bream and bass have now entered our waters in good numbers and planned on bringing a couple home for dinner!
The morning weather was perfect, a light north west wind kept the sea flat and some cloud cover kept the temperature down, setting the scene for a lovely day.
Heading about four miles out off Seaton, the boats aimed for bream and got straight into fish,
Bill Caser netting the best of the day, pictured with his three pound, nine ounce keeper.
You may also want to watch:
The same spot produced most of the fish over the next couple of hours and even saw a few tub gurnard landed. In total, there were nine species of fish caught and the top spot was anyone’s to play for, right till the end, when Keith Trevett hooked and landed this beautiful specimen gurnard, weighing more than three pounds!
After careful working out, the winner was announced and there was a surprise show from a club joiner, Billy Roberts, who beat Bill Caser for second place, with a total aggregate of 302 per cent, a score that would normally take the prize!
- 1 It's our time to share our fortune and 'do our bit' as we start to re-open
- 2 Hayman's Butchers 'had been my life' - Stewart Hayman
- 3 Further improvements for Sidmouth Town FC
- 4 Town is spruced up as excitement is in the air for future
- 5 Claire leaves political spotlight
- 6 Salston Manor Hotel plans given the go-ahead
- 7 There will be sunshine after the rain as the town re-opens
- 8 Sidmouth garden show to take place as lockdown eases
- 9 Show of Art set to captivate Kennaway House visitors
- 10 Property of the Week: Ridgeway in Ottery St Mary
However, with a total of six species and 361 per cent aggregate, the winner was Keith Trevett. No doubt Billy will be back to claim the top spot soon and Keith will be buying the beers in the club house.
If you would like more information about joining the club, then please call Kaz Millington on (01395) 515868, and juniors who want to start up can call Alan French on 07877 832 713.