Perrigo crowned Sidford Short Mat Bowls champion of 2013
- Credit: Archant
Sidford Short Mat Bowls club held their annual handicap singles competition over two days, writes Carol Beckett.
The preliminary rounds produced some fine bowling and very close games and eight players went through to the second day, Friday, May 3, to contest the quarter finals.
Again there was some very good bowling at the end of which the four semi finalists emerged; Bernard Perrigo, Andy Thompson, Harry Townsend and Peter Ellis.
The semi-final between Ellis and Perrigo was very close with Perrigo edging a narrow victory.
In the Townsend and Thompson match this too was close with Thompson prevailing.
You may also want to watch:
The final was an intriguing game which was thoroughly enjoyed by all the club members who had turned out to support.
Bernard Perrigo, who had played some inspired bowls throughout the afternoon, emerged as the Champion for 2013.
- 1 Two Sidmouth gardens set to open to the public this bank holiday
- 2 Stephen's not afraid to get hands-on to keep business moving forward
- 3 College launches two new fundraising appeals
- 4 Plans for restart of operations for Sidmouth Voluntary Services
- 5 New team on frontline for mental health care and support
- 6 Here come the Red Arrows! Things are looking up for town
- 7 General Buller's statue in Exeter stay or go?
- 8 SRC mighty six take on Sid Valley Ring half-marathon
- 9 High Street beckons for hobbyists emerging from lockdown
- 10 Sidmouth Girls Rugby
The winner’s trophy was kindly donated by members Chris Faulknall and Harry Townsend.
This competition is one of many held by the club each year. Our Annual Tournament, with invited teams from East Devon, takes place on June 8th. Friendly matches are played throughout the Summer, and two teams play in the East Devon and District League in the Winter.
Internal non handicap singles and pairs competitions are held each Autumn. Many of our members come along just for a roll up on club afternoons and to enjoy the company of others. We also have social activities, and beginners and experienced players are welcome to come along.
We meet every Tuesday and Wednesday afternoon in Sidford Social Hall, Byes Lane, Sidford, between 2 and 4pm.
As short mat bowls is played indoors it is a sport to be enjoyed in all weathers. For more information call 01395 513500516130.