Perseverance pays off
- Credit: Archant
The adage ‘never give up’ was seen to great effect in both Devon and Cornwall Area pony racing finals at Umberleigh on Saturday, writes Lee Glanville.
Tyler Heard’s pony Angelic was misbehaving at the start of the 138 race and missed the break.
The start is crucial in flat racing and especially at Umberleigh which is the shortest pony race of the season.
But Heard pushed on and had caught up the field on the approach to the bend, overtaking as he went and he overhauled long time leaders Mocking Bird and Penway Tap Dance in a blanket finish.
Heard won by a short head, Penway Tap Dance (Lorcan Williams) was second and Mocking Bird (Ben Godfrey) third.
You may also want to watch:
The 148 race saw a duel at the front between Tarka (Tina Smith) and Total Eclipse ( Hannah Welch).
Both girls were having their last point to point pony race as they will turn 16 shortly ( although Welch will continue in the Charles Owen racecourse series til the end of the season).
- 1 Stuart Hughes retains Sidmouth county council seat
- 2 Jess Bailey secures a seat at Devon County Council
- 3 Reid family follow in the footsteps of Sir Captain Tom
- 4 Tributes paid to GP who dedicated 36 years to Sid Valley patients
- 5 Three Barbaras and a dog move in at Lockyer Lodge
- 6 Sidmouth candidates looking for your vote at the County Council elections
- 7 Run for donkeys in the world’s biggest marathon
- 8 12 countries announced on travel green list from May 17
- 9 Festival will bring a much-needed boost to the town
- 10 Initial details revealed for this year's week-long Folk Festival
As they hit the final climb Total Eclipse held the advantage but Smith drove Tarka on and claimed a win by eight lengths with first season pony Black Pearl (Hugo Hunt) back in third.
Smith also took the overall area points championship on Tarka, winning the Synderborough Farm Rising Stars Trophy, and Tamby Welch won the 138s points trophy, finishing runner- up to Smith overall, on Bronze Lawrance.
All trophies and awards will be presented at the end of season awards night, held jointly with the Wessex Area, at Exeter Racecourse on July 6.
?Full results at www.sidmouthherald.co.uk