Piper calls the tune as SOHC ladies IIs net win at Bridgwater
- Credit: Archant
The ladies second team faced a strengthened Bridgwater side.
This proved to be a terrific contest. SOHC moved the ball around well with Frankie Elliott, Alice Please and Frankie Forsyth all having chances to score, but each were thwarted by an excellent Bridgwater goalkeeper.
The Somerset side gave as good as they got, but some disciplined defending together with some timely interceptions by by Katie Underwood, Lizzie Nancekivell, Liz Knapp and Helen Ackland, kept them out.
The deadlock was finally broken courtesy of a superb solo goal from Frankie Elliott who effected a 360 degree spin to drag the ball over the line.
Bridgwater responded well, but got little change out of the SOHC ladies with Alice Please impressing in midfield.
You may also want to watch:
Parity was restored to the contest early in the second half, but this failed to dampen the SOHC game and they were soon back onto the front foot.
The pressure built on the Bridgwater defence and they were finally beaten for a second time thanks to an assist from Evie Wilson and a slick finish by Fran Piper.
- 1 Sidmouth artist paints a picture of hope for the NHS
- 2 'Let’s get out of the stranglehold this killer virus has had on our lives' by staying home
- 3 East Devon author launches satirical book
- 4 Retired GP's 'curated anthology' of fly fishing experiences
- 5 Lottery funding for fishermen's shed project
- 6 Sad loss at Beer Albion
- 7 Sidmouth vaccinations are off to a good start
- 8 Police to use ANPR cameras to enforce Covid rules across Devon
- 9 Friends of the Byes are helping to to save life on earth starting with a bramble bank
- 10 Sid Valley Practice appeals for help during vaccine rollout
The Player of the Match award was shared between Frankie Elliott and Fran Piper while the Most Supportive Player award was shared by Alice Please and Helen Ackland.
On Saturday the high-flying second team – they sit second, three points behind Sedgemoor Division two leaders Weston-super-Mare - entertain Taw Valley who beat them by the odd goal in seven when the teams clashed in October. Kick-off for the second team match is 10.30am.