Pitter goal sees Sidmouth Warriors Under-10s into cup semi-finals
- Credit: Archant
Sidmouth Warriors Under-10s were narrow 1-0 winners when took on Ottery St Mary in a cup quarter final tie.
Both sides went into the game having not played for a long time, and simply getting onto the pitch was a pleasure for the youngsters and the fact that they had a game was very much down to the labours of the Ottery ground staff who had worked wonders with the heavy roller!
The early exchanges were fairly even with Sidmouth having to defend some good attacking play from Ottery. Man of the Match Callum French was rock-like in defence and despite several promising attacks he was always on hand to clear the ball. It was end-to-end stuff with both sides having chances. Ottery were awarded a free-kick which was heading in apart from some superb goalkeeping from Anthony Nita who was able to push the ball over the bar.
Late on in the first half Ben Elsom fired in a great shot only to see it hit the post. The deadlock was finally broken just before half-time Jamie Pitter played through on goal and he looped the ball beyond the Otters glovesman to give his side the lead.
After the break there was more of the end-to-end frenetic action. Ottery pressed hard to level, but each time they looked set to threaten they came up against a stone-wall Sidmouth defence in which Finn Upsher was outstanding.
You may also want to watch:
Charley Turley ran tirelessly for his team and the Warriors had a couple of good chances to put the game beyond reach, but were unable to convert. In the late stages Ottery attacked relentlessly, but the Sidmouth players threw themselves in front of the ball and with the game reaching the last few seconds the Sidmouth keeper was able to punch clear and the final whistle blew to be greeted by great cheers from a large Sidmouth Warriors support.
- 1 First time in a year for Sidmouth's rugby youngsters
- 2 Now is the time to shop locally says Sidmouth artist
- 3 Here come the Red Arrows! Things are looking up for town
- 4 Masks scrapped 'as early as next month' and over 35s jabs 'soon'
- 5 Public help needed to find wild violets around East Devon
- 6 Sidmouth electric car club survey launched
- 7 Talking Newspapers set to restart service
- 8 Property of the Week: Flat 2 Bedford
- 9 Jess Bailey secures a seat at Devon County Council
- 10 A tussle for the ages at Ottery Bowls