Plenty of progress this season
Ashmoor Ladies’ 2nd XI, 6
Sid Ladies’ 2nd XI, 1
Boosted by last week’s win, Sidmouth Ladies’ 2nd team were keen to do their best in the final match of the season and worked hard throughout the game despite the soaring temperatures, writes Catherine Vincent.
The first half started well with Sidmouth putting pressure on Ashmoor but they couldn’t quite manage to score. Ashmoor’s confidence picked up and they managed to break through Sidmouth’s midfield and defence to score a lucky goal from the edge of the Sidmouth D, which trickled over the line just out of reach of the goalie’s foot. This was followed by a second lucky goal from a short corner which was deflected off Sidmouth’s defence.
Sidmouth’s fighting spirit returned, with Cally Tapp (Sidmouth’s youngest player) scoring a well-deserved goal in the opening minutes of the second half. However, Ashmoor soon followed with another goal and continued to up their pressure throughout the second half.
You may also want to watch:
Despite the efforts of Kelsey Fitzgerald and player of the match Zoe Drew in the midfield, Sidmouth did not hold possession, allowing Ashmoor’s young centre forward to score two excellent goals. Sidmouth’s defence worked hard and goalie Susie Bedford made a couple of excellent saves but Ashmoor managed to win a succession of short corners which yielded yet another goal. Sidmouth seemed unable to get back up to the Ashmoor D and create the goal scoring chances they needed and had to settle for a disappointing score line. However Sidmouth’s new young players have shown real progress throughout the season and have plenty of potential to improve the score line next year.
- 1 Lottery funding for fishermen's shed project
- 2 Retired GP's 'curated anthology' of fly fishing experiences
- 3 Dom Bess representing Sidmouth in Sri Lanka
- 4 Friends of the Byes are helping to to save life on earth starting with a bramble bank
- 5 Sid Vale Association marks its 175th anniversary
- 6 Safety, security and sustainability at Sidmouth Town
- 7 Fishing vessel rescued by Exmouth RNLI
- 8 Tipton St John children's author wins national award for pioneering work
- 9 Police to use ANPR cameras to enforce Covid rules across Devon
- 10 Sid Valley Practice appeals for help during vaccine rollout