Popples draw a blank at home to Halwill
- Credit: Getty Images/Image Source
Newton Popleford drew a blank in their Macron League Division Two bottom-of-the-table home meeting with Halwill.
The 0-0 score line was the first such result for the Popples in a Devon and Exeter League fixture in many seasons.
It’s not the first clean sheet of the season for them though, that came in a Bill Slee Cup 1-0 win at Bow in early September.
The result does neither side any favours, as both remain as the bottom two teams with the Popples now seven points from safety.
There’s plenty of time to secure their Division Two status though, for they have 15 games still to play and, given that this weekend’s fixture list looks set to be wiped out by the weather (the Popples are due to play away at Axminster Town Reserves),with no game at the moment for the following match day (March 10), it would mean that if this weekend’s match is not played, the Popples will not reach the halfway stage of their season until their March 17 meeting at home to University.
You may also want to watch:
That would leave the Popples having to play the second half of their season – 13 matches in all - in a period of just seven weeks!
- 1 Now is the time to shop locally says Sidmouth artist
- 2 Here come the Red Arrows! Things are looking up for town
- 3 First time in a year for Sidmouth's rugby youngsters
- 4 Masks scrapped 'as early as next month' and over 35s jabs 'soon'
- 5 Public help needed to find wild violets around East Devon
- 6 Sidmouth electric car club survey launched
- 7 Talking Newspapers set to restart service
- 8 When it comes to our beach, its about taking responsibility for what we do
- 9 A tussle for the ages at Ottery Bowls
- 10 Jess Bailey secures a seat at Devon County Council