Powell and Fowler see Sidmouth Sunday XI to derby win
- Credit: Archant
Sidmouth won the coastal Sunday friendly derby meeting with Exmouth.
The Fortfield men use Sunday fixtures to give younger players experience of adult cricket and also make the team up with senior heads to show the youngsters the ropes!
Exmouth won the toss, batted first, and made their way to a competent 245-7 from their 40 overs. Nick Bolt top scored with 94 and there were useful contributions from Ed Hurley (62), Russ Corney (22) and Ryan Schaefler (17).
The Sidmouth wicket taking was shared out with Wes Holmes (2-24), Nick Gommershall (2-23), Dan Powell (2-52) and Jash Patidar (1-26), sharing the honours.
Wicket keeper Ben Marsh, on his senior debut behind the stumps, was very impressive.
You may also want to watch:
The Sidmouth reply got off to a good start with opener Thomas Moore scoring 33. Nick Mansfield (36), Daley Holmes (19) and Ben Marsh (8), all chipped in before Exmouth hit back with some excellent bowling.
Dave Grant (3-43) and Sean Butler (2-42), looked to have got Exmouth back into the game and on their way to victory.
- 1 Stuart Hughes retains Sidmouth county council seat
- 2 Jess Bailey secures a seat at Devon County Council
- 3 Reid family follow in the footsteps of Sir Captain Tom
- 4 12 countries announced on travel green list from May 17
- 5 Initial details revealed for this year's week-long Folk Festival
- 6 Tributes paid to GP who dedicated 36 years to Sid Valley patients
- 7 Festival will bring a much-needed boost to the town
- 8 East Devon's new homes debate divides residents' opinions
- 9 Three Barbaras and a dog move in at Lockyer Lodge
- 10 Paedophile hunters' sting in Sidbury leads to prosecution
However, a ninth wicket stand between 13-year-old Jordan Fowler and the talented Dan Powell, saw the pair add 51.
Exmouth tried everything they could to dislodge the pair, but to no avail and Sidmouth got home to claim a thrilling victory in a thoroughly entertaining contest.