Powell at the double as SOHC share eight goals with University
- Credit: Archant
Sidmouth and Ottery Hockey Club 2nd XI shared eight goals when they met Exeter University VI.
SOHC made a poor start and fell behind to a goal in the very first minute!
However, they were soon into their stride and began to play more patient and structured style which was in stark contrast to the student’s pacy and direct approach.
The equaliser came from George Powell with a clinical finish after a passage of impressive midfield play from Lee Clayden, Henry Mutter, Jon Dutton and Chris Bishop.
Sadly, just as the first goal had been down to concentration, so was a second, shipped just before the break to leave SOHC 2-1 down at the interval.
You may also want to watch:
The second half saw SOHC step up a gear – or two – and, with Nick Mansfield and George Powell finding gaps in the students’ defence it was no surprise when parity was restored thanks to an Ade Brooker goal.
University hit back to take the lead for the third time, but once again SOHC dug deep and levelled, this time with Powell scoring a second. SOHC then took the lead for the first time in the contest through Jack Ellison only for the students to score the game’s eighth and final goal in the very last minute.
- 1 Praise to community for helping college with online learning during lockdown
- 2 Sidmouth artist paints a picture of hope for the NHS
- 3 Sidmouth's home-grown cricket star Dom Bess in England's win again Sri Lanka
- 4 'Let’s get out of the stranglehold this killer virus has had on our lives' by staying home
- 5 Football in support of mental health
- 6 Retired GP's 'curated anthology' of fly fishing experiences
- 7 Ottery St Mary Silver Band 'Centenary+1' fundraiser launched
- 8 Sad loss at Beer Albion
- 9 Sidmouth vaccinations are off to a good start
- 10 East Devon author launches satirical book