Powell leads from the front as SOHC men share 10 goals with North Devon
- Credit: Archant
Sidmouth and Ottery Hockey Club (SOHC) men’s 1st team were involved in a 5-5 draw when they entertained North Devon in a Southern One fixture.
The visiting side struck first, netting with an agricultural smash and deflection that flew past Simon Baker in the home goal.
The response was swift, and clinical, with Henry Mutter scoring to restore parity. In a contest of end-to-end action, North Devon regained the lead only for another swift reply with the energetic skipper George Powell making it 2-2.
Leading from the front, Powell scored again to make it 3-2 and, with Max Moore scoring a fourth – his finish coming after he was brilliantly fed by a storming Chris Bishop ‘round the back’ drive – SOHC trooped off at the break with a 4-2 lead.
An early second half sin-binning for defender Jon Hext did not seem to affect the forward approach adopted by the home side and, in a period of early second half dominance, SOHC could have scored three more.
You may also want to watch:
Alas, for the home faithful, a fifth goal was not forthcoming and, as is so patently clear at this higher level, ‘missed’ chances are going to be costly and North Devon hit back to make it 4-3.
Max Moore then restored the two goal home lead.
- 1 Jess Bailey secures a seat at Devon County Council
- 2 Otter Valley candidates get ready for County Council elections
- 3 Sidmouth candidates looking for your vote at the County Council elections
- 4 Stuart Hughes retains Sidmouth county council seat
- 5 Photographic competition challenges snappers to spring into action
- 6 Three Barbaras and a dog move in at Lockyer Lodge
- 7 Town council vacancies to be filled at the ballot box
- 8 Can you help Ottery become plastic free?
- 9 Tributes paid to GP who dedicated 36 years to Sid Valley patients
- 10 Build Back Fairer by supporting Fairtrade in Sidmouth
However, North Devon hit back with success at a short corner with Jim Harris helpless as the ball spun past him and into the net, and then the ball was lost in midfield and a slick right wing raid saw North Devon score their fifth and final goal to leave honours even.
For the home side this was certainly a game of ‘what might have been’. The SOHC Man of the Match award went to skipper George Powell.