Title triumph for two Ottery teams and promotion for three after super O60s Triples League season
- Credit: Archant
The Ottery St Mary men enjoyed a wonderful end to their Exeter and District Over-60s Triples league season with no fewer than three of the club’s four teams securing promotion, writes Michael Smith.
The A team overcame St Thomas A, beating the Exeter side 48-32 and that result saw them to the Division Two title.
The winning Ottery rink, bagging a 29-11 success, was the one of Steve Hall, Chris Hawke and skip John Pethick.
The C and D teams, who were both already assured of promotion, went into their final Division Eight matches looking to see which of them would be crowned champions.
The D team did everything they could as they secured a maximum eight points with their win at Marina C where the rink of Maurice Flower, Melvyn Trayhurn and skip John Ward won 23-10.
You may also want to watch:
That meant the C team had to win their match to pip the D team to the top honour and they did just that by winning a thrilling contest against Hemyock B with the margin of victory being just three shots!
The winning rink for the C team was the one of Clive Russell, Dave Rose and skip Brian Baker, who enjoyed a 15-13 success.
- 1 Stephen's not afraid to get hands-on to keep business moving forward
- 2 Two Sidmouth gardens set to open to the public this bank holiday
- 3 Plans for restart of operations for Sidmouth Voluntary Services
- 4 General Buller's statue in Exeter stay or go?
- 5 New team on frontline for mental health care and support
- 6 Sidmouth Girls Rugby
- 7 College launches two new fundraising appeals
- 8 Here come the Red Arrows! Things are looking up for town
- 9 Young gardeners enjoy seeing the early fruits of their labour
- 10 High Street beckons for hobbyists emerging from lockdown
The B team also concluded their season and, although they lost their last outing, beaten 42-28 by Wellington A, they did enough in the campaign to ensure they stay in Division Six with their fifth place finish.
They did have a winning rink against Wellington with Tony Bushell, Tony Panzeri and skip Ray Luscombe securing a 19-15 success.
Congratulations, to all the teams on a truly magnificent season.