Tedburn St Mary 3, Colaton Raleigh FC 4
Last saturday Colaton Raleigh made sure of promotion from Division 3 by beating a battling Tedburn St Mary team 4-3, writes Ken Woodsford.
Player/Boss Riki Pitter had to make four changes for this game, owing to holidays and Easter work commitments. Tedburn St Mary knew they had to win to pull away from the relegation zone. With Raleigh not at their best, the home team scored three goals, with Riki Pitter and Mark Pavey replying for the visitors. Although trailing 3-2 and time running out Raleigh refused to panic.
On 88 minutes, a Matt Tett corner kick was headed back across goal by Pitter, for Ricki Harris, 17, to arrive from nowhere, and power a header into the roof of the net to level scores 3-3. Just a few seconds remained on the clock, when a long clearance from keeper Adrian Parr found Gary Dixon out wide on the left. Dixon looked up, saw the Tedburn keeper a yard off his line, and sent a stunning inch-perfect chip into the net, to score a goal of the season contender, and earn his team promotion 4-3
You may also want to watch:
Delighted Manager Pitter, was quick to thank his assistant Cliff Cooper for his support throughout the season. He was also full of praise for his young squad: "Most of the players are under 21. They have all made important individual contributions when the team has needed it most and, with more experience they can only get better.”
?Colaton Raleigh Reserves gained a sparkling 3-1 win at Cheriton Fitzpaine, with Matt Rasmussen (2) and James Santer on the scoresheet. Youngsters Blake Blackwood, Jamie Vittles and Mike Feeney were all outstanding.
- 1 Dom Bess representing Sidmouth in Sri Lanka
- 2 Retired GP's 'curated anthology' of fly fishing experiences
- 3 Lottery funding for fishermen's shed project
- 4 Safety, security and sustainability at Sidmouth Town
- 5 Sid Vale Association marks its 175th anniversary
- 6 Friends of the Byes are helping to to save life on earth starting with a bramble bank
- 7 Fishing vessel rescued by Exmouth RNLI
- 8 "Whoever you are, the county council will almost certainly play some role in your everyday life"
- 9 Sid Valley Practice appeals for help during vaccine rollout
- 10 Police to use ANPR cameras to enforce Covid rules across Devon