Tedburn St Mary 3, Colaton Raleigh FC 4
Last saturday Colaton Raleigh made sure of promotion from Division 3 by beating a battling Tedburn St Mary team 4-3, writes Ken Woodsford.
Player/Boss Riki Pitter had to make four changes for this game, owing to holidays and Easter work commitments. Tedburn St Mary knew they had to win to pull away from the relegation zone. With Raleigh not at their best, the home team scored three goals, with Riki Pitter and Mark Pavey replying for the visitors. Although trailing 3-2 and time running out Raleigh refused to panic.
On 88 minutes, a Matt Tett corner kick was headed back across goal by Pitter, for Ricki Harris, 17, to arrive from nowhere, and power a header into the roof of the net to level scores 3-3. Just a few seconds remained on the clock, when a long clearance from keeper Adrian Parr found Gary Dixon out wide on the left. Dixon looked up, saw the Tedburn keeper a yard off his line, and sent a stunning inch-perfect chip into the net, to score a goal of the season contender, and earn his team promotion 4-3
You may also want to watch:
Delighted Manager Pitter, was quick to thank his assistant Cliff Cooper for his support throughout the season. He was also full of praise for his young squad: "Most of the players are under 21. They have all made important individual contributions when the team has needed it most and, with more experience they can only get better.”
?Colaton Raleigh Reserves gained a sparkling 3-1 win at Cheriton Fitzpaine, with Matt Rasmussen (2) and James Santer on the scoresheet. Youngsters Blake Blackwood, Jamie Vittles and Mike Feeney were all outstanding.
- 1 We're open again! Town's traders welcome back shoppers
- 2 Around the sitting room in 80 days with the amazing Diana, 98
- 3 Stableford jewel for Sidmouth member
- 4 Escot springs out of lockdown and they're wild about opening again
- 5 Veterans called to muster in tribute to Prince Philip
- 6 Rewarding first night back For Sidmouth Running Club
- 7 Claire leaves political spotlight
- 8 Debut in the Dartmoor League
- 9 It's our time to share our fortune and 'do our bit' as we start to re-open
- 10 Town is spruced up as excitement is in the air for future