Proved late threat to Hornets
- Credit: Archant
Sidmouth and Ottery HC Men’s 1st XI 2, ECV Hornets 3
Having endured some unlucky results in recent weeks SOHC called on their seemingly limitless resolve to give local rivals ECV Hornets a hard match last weekend, writes Charlie Please.
Making his debut for the 1st XI this season, Graham Pidgeon made his presence felt in the opposition circle and managed to scramble the ball goalward for the home side to take the lead. This setback served to spur the visitors on and counter-attacking pressure finally told with them equalising and then going ahead shortly after.
SOHC were unfortunately missing some usual players for this fixture, a combination of injuries and poorly planned holidays being the cause, and the visitors’ large squad of 14 rotated with frequency to ensure that players were fresh and full of running. Having gone 3-1 up into the second half, the visitors felt they had the game in the bag but inspired performances from some SOHC players meant the game was not up.
Scott Rowson displayed the mettle that his captain had asked of the team prior to the game and drove play forward from his right half position. Matthew Ogborne had another good game in centre midfield and combined well with regulars Michael ‘Dinger’ Bell and Sam King.
You may also want to watch:
A second goal for SOHC made the visitors clearly uneasy and unfortunately for SOHC they were not able to convert a penalty flick in order to share the points. Jim Harris otherwise had his usual consistent game.
This weekend, SOHC are off to Bridgwater hoping to obtain three points,
- 1 Sidmouth artist paints a picture of hope for the NHS
- 2 'Follow the spirit of the lockdown restrictions'
- 3 17th century chest from Ottery manor to be auctioned
- 4 'It’s amazing how much you take for granted and how much we have to be grateful for'
- 5 Commemorative elm tree planted to mark National Tree Warden scheme's 30th anniversary
- 6 Nicola hoping to inspire Sidmouth slimmers through weight loss
- 7 Free Zoom workshop for parents, carers and professionals during Lockdown
- 8 Westpoint one of two news venues to be used for vaccine roll out
- 9 Police chase driver facing jail for 90mph pursuit in country lanes
- 10 £12,500 donated to lockdown laptops for schools appeal