Puffer powers to lugger victory
- Credit: Archant
There was a variable wind blowing to greet the luggers when they launched from the beach for last Monday’s race, writes John Mortimore.
The wind was shifting between north west to south west. This kept the skippers on their toes. It was a case of being in the right place at the right time.
Nine luggers made the starting line. All sailed shorewards for the home buoy.
First boat to reach the mark was the Cuckoo followed by Twilight. On towards the windward mark the Cuckoo still held the lead from Twilight with the Percy Mitchell in third place.
Towards the leeward mark the Percy Mitchell overhauled the Twilight to reach the buoy in second position.
You may also want to watch:
As the race progressed the Mary began to show up arriving at the windward mark with Twilight.
It was nip and tuck who should make to the buoy first. The Twilight just managed to squeeze through.
- 1 The master sportsman: Norman Borrett
- 2 Seven points about Devon and Cornwall policing for G7 leaders
- 3 Sidmouth artist paints a picture of hope for the NHS
- 4 Sidmouth's home-grown cricket star Dom Bess in England's win again Sri Lanka
- 5 Lockdown #3 challenges for the Sidmouth runners
- 6 Praise to community for helping college with online learning during lockdown
- 7 Youngsters invited to join in Fairtrade Fortnight competition
- 8 Rugby on a rollercoaster of disruption
- 9 Stalker jailed and banned from Ottery St Mary
- 10 Friends of the Byes are helping to to save life on earth starting with a bramble bank
At the middle of the fleet Puffin and Moondance were having a tussle for position while Scrumpy and Katherine were bringing up the rear.
The Percy Mitchell overtook the Cuckoo to take the lead. Meanwhile the Mary came in from nowhere and made a successful tack and found some good wind which enabled her to come through and cross the finishing line in pole position.
Results of the race: 1, Mary (D Boalch); 2, Cuckoo (G Dart); 3, Percy Mitchell (K Gosling); 4, Twilight (P Bagwell); 5, Puffin (R Driver); 6, Moondance (G Pook); 7, Katherine (M Diplock); 8, Little Wing (A Green); 9m Scrumpy (G Lockyer).
Winner of the race by handicap Puffin (R Driver).