Punter sparkles in Sidmouth Jewellers meet
- Credit: Archant
The thirteenth round of the Sidmouth Jewellers Friday night league had some great scores this week, writes John Barnard.
Leading the way was Steve Punter who shot an impressive 41 points.
He had a great start to his round, level gross to hole seven.
He then had two double bogies and no score on the tenth which looked like messing up his great start. However, from the eleventh, he came back home level gross with two birdies and two bogies but will be frustrated that he let slip the round towards the turn.
In second place was Graham Davies with 40 points and his round bore similarities to Steve’s.
You may also want to watch:
He had a good start, but then double bogied six and ‘blobbed’ the eighth. He then really got going by birdying the ninth and only dropped one shot against gross over the next ten holes.
His handicap was cut one shot through his score and then another through an exceptional score reduction so is now playing off nine.
- 1 Two Sidmouth gardens set to open to the public this bank holiday
- 2 High Street beckons for hobbyists emerging from lockdown
- 3 General Buller's statue in Exeter stay or go?
- 4 Here come the Red Arrows! Things are looking up for town
- 5 SRC mighty six take on Sid Valley Ring half-marathon
- 6 Property of the Week: Flat 2 Bedford
- 7 When it comes to our beach, its about taking responsibility for what we do
- 8 Mixed weekend for Sidmouth and Ottery Hockey
- 9 Stuart Hughes retains Sidmouth county council seat
- 10 Jess Bailey secures a seat at Devon County Council
In third place was Steve Channing. He scored 39 points with a much more consistent round than others with eight pars which is good play off his handicap of 17.
There were no twos in Division Two so a pot of £58 has been carried forward and is waiting one good shot on Friday!
In the Friday Night league, Mark Thomas had his lead slightly trimmed back to 11 points by Craig Melluish who now has a lead of eight points over Lee Wenham.