Quins can hold heads high

Newton Abbot RFC 2nds 72,

Sidmouth RFC Quins 5

The Quins’ travelled to Newton Abbot with a squad of 13, with some players being drafted in on the way to the game. How it got to that level of desperation needs investigating. Any game against the All Whites is tough, but with a deficit of two players from the outset, the Quins’ stood little chance, writes Bryn Thomas.

The Quins, unsurprisingly, were behind quickly and, by the midway point of the first half, were out of sight completely. But they fought hard and did have spells where they created problems. During the Quins’ spells of pressure, they were unlucky not to score on a number of occasions. Things went from bad to worse. Their cause was not helped by the departure of scrum-half Alec Wheatley, with a serious shoulder injury.

The injury gave the All Whites a three man advantage for the remainder of the half, and they racked up a 40-odd point advantage.

You may also want to watch:

The Quins, back up to 13, did improve in all aspects of the game as the game progressed. The defending became better with some excellent tackling. The majority of the All Whites’ second half scores came thanks to the inevitable overlap and the Quins’ tiring rapidly. The biggest cheer, thanks in the most part from a rather drunken touring side, came when the Quins’ scored a much-deserved try - the Quins’ players were far to exhausted to cheer!

The try came after a succession of pick and drives close to the All Whites line. Number 8/ flanker Pete Singfield claimed the glory as he picked and drove his way over with the help of his team-mates. The Quins’ conceded again, but finished the game in the ascendancy, attacking for the final 10 minutes. The home side were rightly reduced to 14 for deliberately slowing down the Quins’ attack at a string of rucks; but what followed seconds later was much worse. A quick tap penalty by Josh Reed took play up to the All Whites’ try line. What happened next has no place on a rugby field, a Newton Abbot player stamped on Reed’s face, leaving a nasty gash under the left eye. The referee had no choice but to send the player off. The referee also stopped the game five minutes early to stop tempers flaring further.

Most Read

Despite the score-line, the entire Quins’ player,s from 1 to 14, can hold their heads high as they showed great unity and a fantastic attitude throughout.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus