Quins sparkle with home tries galore

The 'Quins produced a sparkling display of 15-man rugby to earn a comfortable 47-5 win in this local derby against Withycombe 2nds.

The 'Quins produced a sparkling display of 15-man rugby to earn a comfortable win in this local derby. The pack produced a steady supply of quick possession and the backs had too much pace for their opponents.The game opened in spectacular fashion with a scene-setting try in the second minute. Aussie import Ben Damen showed his versatility as he played in the fourth different position since his arrival early in the new year. Playing at scrum half he was covering back when he caught a kick ahead on his own 22. He chipped over the chasing players and regathered the ball in space, making ground before throwing out a long pass to Sam Cummins, who outpaced the cover to score an unconverted try in the right corner.A few minutes later Sam Richardson broke from a scrum inside the Sidmouth 22 to link with Max Hansford and initiate a handling move which was finished off with a try by Glenn Channing. Richardson also scored when he forced his way over from a five metre scrum. Neither try was converted.Withycombe rallied in the second quarter. Keeping the ball tight with some effective forward driving they kept the 'Quins pinned in their own half but could not find their way through a determined defence. A Sidmouth breakout enabled Glenn Channing to increase the lead with a penalty before the visitors resumed their assault on the Sidmouth line and were eventually rewarded in injury time when the full back crossed following a tap penalty move. The conversion was unsuccessful leaving the halftime score at 18-5.The 'Quins regained their grip on the game with a try within two minutes of the restart. Sam Richardson broke from a scrum on the Withycombe 22 and Damen was in support to dummy his way over. Channing convertedA slick move by the backs set Matt Gingell free up the left wing but he was stopped by a desperate tap tackle two metres short of the line. However, continued pressure brought a try for Max Hansford after Richardson had made inroads from a tap penalty, and quick handling put the veteran wingman in space.A break by Channing, supported by skipper Giles Dixon, turned defence into attack with a move which covered 60 metres before a knock-on prevented a certain score. From the resulting scrum, Withycombe failed to find touch and Sam Cummins combined with Max Hansford to set up a counterattack which finished off when Matt Gingell crossed in the left corner.Giles Dixon looked certain to score on the end of another good handling move but lost the ball as he was tackled over the line. A minute later, Channing dummied his way over from a ruck near the line and made no mistake with the touchdown for his second try of the game.Sam Cummins finished the game as he started it with a try in the last minute when a good handling move followed a tap penalty. Channing's touchline conversion was followed by the final whistle.

You may also want to watch:

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus