Raleigh conclude with 16 match unbeaten run!
Colaton Raleigh ended their season in style with an impressive 7-2 win over fourth placed side Tedburn St Mary inspired by a Tony Cox hat-trick, writes Jordan Cooper.
With promotion already secured, Raleigh knew a win would seal them the runners-up spot in Division 4, behind league champions Bickleigh. Tedburn arrived with a slim possibility of finishing 3rd but the home side put an end to their chances within the first half an hour.
Cox put Raleigh ahead, after sustained pressure, with a cool finish and set up a second minutes later. It was then Gary Dixon’s turn to score the third and fourth, firing home from the edge of the box before rounding the ‘keeper to give Raleigh an unassailable lead before the interval. A terrific free-kick gave Tedburn hope moments before the referee blew his whistle.
The second period put an end to any such hope as Raleigh added three more. Cox grabbed his second with a powerful effort and it was from an almost impossible angle that he completed his hat-trick to score Raleigh’s sixth. Another Tedburn goal proved only a consolation as at the other end Cooper flicked in Ben Farrington’s corner to make it 7-2 to the home side.
Despite the scoreline, Tedburn rallied and tested ‘keeper Riki Pitter late on but he stood firm to deny them a third. The win meant Raleigh maintained an incredible unbeaten league run of 16 games.
You may also want to watch:
With the season at a conclusion, Raleigh have a chance to reflect on a productive campaign that sees them complete back-to-back promotions.
The club would like to thank all of those that have supported them on the touchline and hope to see them again next season.
- 1 'Let’s get out of the stranglehold this killer virus has had on our lives' by staying home
- 2 Sidmouth artist paints a picture of hope for the NHS
- 3 Retired GP's 'curated anthology' of fly fishing experiences
- 4 East Devon author launches satirical book
- 5 Sad loss at Beer Albion
- 6 Lottery funding for fishermen's shed project
- 7 Sidmouth vaccinations are off to a good start
- 8 Sid Valley Practice appeals for help during vaccine rollout
- 9 Police to use ANPR cameras to enforce Covid rules across Devon
- 10 Friends of the Byes are helping to to save life on earth starting with a bramble bank