Raleigh were fantastic says Pitter
Winkleigh F C 1, Colaton Raleigh FC 2 Division 3
"The players were all fantastic today," said Colaton Raleigh boss Riki Pitter after his team's hard fought away victory against a determined and feisty Winkleigh side.
On a heavy pitch with very long grass, Raleigh knew before the game started that this would not be a match for purists.
Damian Armes got Raleigh off to a good start, scoring with a fierce cross shot after twenty minutes. Winkleigh replied against the run of play when a defender passed the ball straight to the Winkleigh centre forward who made it 1-1.
With Mark Pavey leading the line well, Colaton Raleigh dominated the second period and, following a great spell of team possession, Pavey created a chance for man of the match Gary Dixon to fire home and score the winning goal midway through the half.
You may also want to watch:
The back four of Ricki Harris, Riki Pitter, Matt Tett and Darren Bennett held firm, to see the game out, and gain a valuable three away points.
Especially pleasing were the first team debuts of 16 year olds Blake Blackwood and Ricki Harris, and the performance of 16 year old Mike Feeney. All were promoted into the first team, worked their socks off, and fully justified the faith shown in them by the Colaton Raleigh manager.
- 1 Summer play season returns safe and sound after 'challenging year'
- 2 Tragedy strikes the racing world
- 3 Paedophile hunters' sting in Sidbury leads to prosecution
- 4 Former Ottery science technician celebrates her seventieth year
- 5 Folk festival boosted by £97K grant from Culture Recovery Fund
- 6 'Battered and shattered' traders start to reopen their shops
- 7 School's hill climb challenge
- 8 Different species of deer are part of our wildlife inheritance
- 9 Family triumph in Sidmouth golf team stableford
- 10 Confidence grows for return of traditional high street
This Saturday Colaton Raleigh host Offwell Rangers 1st team at Newton Poppleford, . 3pm.
?Colaton Raleigh Reserves also had a good league win, 2-1 against Offwell 2nds. Goals were scored by Todd Pattinson and Mark Tett. Tom Rapps and Ed Santer being the pick of the team.
The Reserves travel to play Langdon 2nds 3pm.