Rasmussen scores seven as Newton Poppleford put Thorverton to the sword
- Credit: Archant
Newton Poppleford put Fresha League Division Three basement side Thorverton to the sword, scoring 12 times – six in each half - to bag a second win in three games and climb further from the foot of the table.
Matt Rasmussen took the scoring honours with seven of the goals.
Adrian Parr bagged a brace and there were single goals from Mark Pavey, Jamie Vittles and Scott Atkins.
Manager Neil Wood said: “It was so good to get the goals for column moving. Given that we’d just got our first win and then been beaten 8-2 at Chagford I championed the lads before the game that we simply had to win. It’s been a feature of our season that we have been missing our chances, but that was not the case in this game.”
He continued: “It was a complete team performance and the quality of the finishing was outstanding. Now I want to see more of the same, and on a consistent basis.”
You may also want to watch:
Tomorrow (Saturday) the Popples entertain a St Martins side that sits second bottom of the table.
- 1 Stuart Hughes retains Sidmouth county council seat
- 2 Jess Bailey secures a seat at Devon County Council
- 3 Reid family follow in the footsteps of Sir Captain Tom
- 4 12 countries announced on travel green list from May 17
- 5 Tributes paid to GP who dedicated 36 years to Sid Valley patients
- 6 Initial details revealed for this year's week-long Folk Festival
- 7 Festival will bring a much-needed boost to the town
- 8 Run for donkeys in the world’s biggest marathon
- 9 East Devon's new homes debate divides residents' opinions
- 10 Sidmouth candidates looking for your vote at the County Council elections