Razzy's class goal for Vikings' Reserves
Sidmouth 2nds went down 5-2 at home to a very impressive Phoenix Club side.
Sidmouth 2nds went down 5-2 at home to a very impressive Phoenix Club side who will be pushing for the top spot at the end of the season.
The 2nds started slowly, a habit they got into last season, one which they cannot afford to repeat if they are to have a successful season.
Phoenix took the lead after a long-range shot was parried at full stretch by Craig Fitzhenry, only for the Phoenix forward to gather the ball and score via a deflection.
They then went further ahead with two free kicks, which both beat the keeper from 25 yards to stun the home team. The Vikings managed to pull a goal back when Peter Grover rose well to head past the Phoenix keeper after a corner from the right. This was how the score stayed at the interval.
You may also want to watch:
There was a definite improvement in the second half but, again, the wind was knocked out of the Vikings' sails when a Phoenix player turned and unleashed a stunning shot which flew past Fitzhenry into the top right hand corner of his net.
Matt Rasmussen made the score 4-2 when he picked the ball up just inside the Phoenix half, ran forward and lashed the ball into the net from 25 yards to show just what he can do when he gets the right service. Any hopes of a fight back were dented when Phoenix scored their fifth and final goal after some sloppy defending. The pick of the players for Sidmouth were Tom Chaplin, Craig Badcock and Nick Trenchard, who never gave up the fight.
- 1 The boyhood of Ottery's famous poet - Samuel Taylor Coleridge
- 2 Confidence grows for return of traditional high street
- 3 Folk festival boosted by £97K grant from Culture Recovery Fund
- 4 Sidmouth Youth Centre on a mission to help feed families
- 5 We're open again! Town's traders welcome back shoppers
- 6 Escot springs out of lockdown and they're wild about opening again
- 7 Around the sitting room in 80 days with the amazing Diana, 98
- 8 Archie's three marathons in three days charity challenge
- 9 Sidmouth seniors back in competitive action
- 10 Property of the Week: Priory House, Ottery St Mary
The team would like to wish Tom Chaplin all the best, as he is off travelling.