Reindeer leads the Christmas charge at Otterton
It’s okay to start getting ready for Christmas now the annual Reindeer Run at Otterton has taken place!
Fancy dress proved particularly popular at this year's run. Head teacher, Carron Saunders from Otterton Primary School judged this year's winners.
The "Reindeer Twins " Maddie and Toby Whitfield took joint fancy dress titles with Vanessa Smith winning the adult title as a Christmas Tree. Sponsor Paul (The Legend) Bowler ran dressed as James Bond sporting 007 race number, dress shirt, cocktail glass and trainers !
After Janet Ackford's pre-race warm up it was over to Jim Pyne who thanked Clinton Devon Estates and local farmers for allowing the run to be held over their land once again. Runners were counted down from three with Father Christmas ringing the school playground bell to start the Reindeer Run. A sea of Christmassy bods flowed by in a blur of Santa costumes, elves, Christmas trees and tinsel!
Turn to page 54
You may also want to watch:
Sam Pyne, 9, was first Fun Runner home in 13.21 minutes claiming the first U12 position but also beating last year's U17 Boys time by 35 seconds !
Hattie Musgrove was first U12 girl home, and Ruby Ford first Local Girl home in the Fun Run. Keeping it in the family Abigail Pyne first U17 girl home also claimed Local U17 Girl title. First Local U17 Boy was Chad Shipton.
- 1 Escot springs out of lockdown and they're wild about opening again
- 2 Veterans called to muster in tribute to Prince Philip
- 3 It's our time to share our fortune and 'do our bit' as we start to re-open
- 4 There will be sunshine after the rain as the town re-opens
- 5 Hayman's Butchers 'had been my life' - Stewart Hayman
- 6 Stableford jewel for Sidmouth member
- 7 Dreams and nightmares at the Grand National
- 8 Sidmouth’s ‘overwhelming’ support for Wear a Hat fundraiser
- 9 Town is spruced up as excitement is in the air for future
- 10 Claire leaves political spotlight
Runners retired to Otterton Village Hall where they were treated to mulled wine and a mince pie kindly provided by Haymans Butchers, Sidmouth.
Laurence Bolam (SRC) was first 10k runner home in 37:04 minutes. Former Reindeer Run Organiser, Graham Hill put in a very respectable time of 37:44 minutes taking second place, vet male and 1st Local Man home.
First lady home in 42:26 minutes was Lucy Commander of South West Road Runners.
Vet female prize was claimed by Jo Mackenzie with 1st Local Lady won by Judith Constable.
The married couple prize, a meal for two at Otterton Mill, was won by John and Lorraine Croome representing Exmouth Harriers.
Male team winners: Laurence Bolam, Graham Hill and Justin Ashby representing Sidmouth Running Club.
Female team winners: Caroline Pleasence, Diana Richards and Lorraine Croome representing Exmouth Harriers.