Roberts and Fisher score as Sidmouth Warriors Under-10s win
- Credit: Archant
Sidmouth Warriors Under-10s were 2-0 victors when they met Honiton in an Exeter and District League fixture, writes Chris Roberts.
With both teams having seen little league action this year so far owing to inclement weather and cup commitments, the players looked a little rusty.
However, with the aid of a strong tail wind and playing down the slope the Warriors started to mount some pressure on the Honiton goal and took the lead when Charlie Roberts rifled the ball home.
That set the tone for a first half that saw Warriors create a number of other good chances, but the Honiton defence stood firm and, on the brink of half-time the visitors were denied an equaliser by an outstanding save from the Warriors stand-in goalkeeper Gabriel Roberts.
With the elements – and slope – against them after the break, Warriors were certainly in a contest!
You may also want to watch:
However, a combination of strong defending and resolute goalkeeping kept Honiton at arms length and, at the other end of the pitch Ewan Badcock led the line superbly, holding the ball up and bringing team mates into play.
In one such passage of play Badcock shielded the ball long enough for Ben Fisher to run on to it and crash a fierce strike into the net to seal victory.
- 1 Stuart Hughes retains Sidmouth county council seat
- 2 Jess Bailey secures a seat at Devon County Council
- 3 Reid family follow in the footsteps of Sir Captain Tom
- 4 Hopes high that half marathon will be an annual event
- 5 Tributes paid to GP who dedicated 36 years to Sid Valley patients
- 6 Paedophile hunters' sting in Sidbury leads to prosecution
- 7 Ottery Primary pupils' pedal power shines through at hill climb
- 8 Demand for properties in Sidmouth is high as South West becomes more desirable
- 9 Town council vacancies to be filled at the ballot box
- 10 Otter Valley candidates get ready for County Council elections