Rowson stars as ladies’ 2nd XI edged out by Weston
- Credit: Archant
Sidmouth and Ottery Hockey Club (SOHC) ladies’ second XI went down to a narrow defeat in their Sedgemoor Division One meeting with basement side Weston-super-Mare.
Whilst the final score was most certainly not what SOHC wanted, given their own perilous position sitting second from bottom in the table, the performance was good and they dominated much of the contest, creating plenty of chances and winning a number of penalty corners.
There was some solid play from midfielders Anna Rowson, Anna Moroz and Lucy Gosling, who linked up beautifully with Diana Dormer and Frankie Forsyth and both Dormer and Forsyth were particularly unlucky not to get their names on the score sheet.
Shortly after falling behind, SOHC followers were cheering when a fresh- faced Vicky Russell dived forward in the D to get the equalising goal. Caroline Biggs was involved in much of the positive play and showed no signs of the injury she had suffered seven days before and Lizzie Nancekivell, from her slot on the left of defence, was a real thorn in the side of the Somerset side with some terrific forays down the wing.
However, despite their clear dominance and constant chance creation, SOHC were guilty of leaving a gap in their defence that was exploited by Weston to net and take a 2-1 lead into half-time.
You may also want to watch:
After the break, SOHC gave absolutely everything in a valiant bid to get back into the contest, but they were unable to find another goal and slipped to a disappointing defeat.
If heart and soul won league points then SOHC would have taken all three in this encounter! The Player of the Match award went to the outstanding Anna Rowson.
- 1 Sidmouth candidates looking for your vote at the County Council elections
- 2 Otter Valley candidates get ready for County Council elections
- 3 Town council vacancies to be filled at the ballot box
- 4 Can you help Ottery become plastic free?
- 5 Three Barbaras and a dog move in at Lockyer Lodge
- 6 Fundraising heroine Diana is sitting pretty at 98
- 7 Tributes paid to GP who dedicated 36 years to Sid Valley patients
- 8 Hotels are reopening soon - lets hope they can stay that way
- 9 The return of Covid to the streets of Sidmouth, and what St George did next!
- 10 Paedophile hunters' sting in Sidbury leads to prosecution