Sidmouth bag first win of season with home success over Torquay Athletic

PUBLISHED: 09:00 02 October 2014 | UPDATED: 09:00 02 October 2014

Sidmouth Chiefs played Torquary Athletic. Ref shsp 5616-40-14AW. Picture Alex Walton

Sidmouth Chiefs played Torquary Athletic. Ref shsp 5616-40-14AW. Picture Alex Walton


Sidmouth Chiefs deservedly gained their first league win of the season with a much-improved performance that saw them defeat Torquay Athletic 19-6, writes Terry O’Brien.

Sidmouth Chiefs played Torquary Athletic. Ref shsp 5633-40-14AW. Picture Alex WaltonSidmouth Chiefs played Torquary Athletic. Ref shsp 5633-40-14AW. Picture Alex Walton

With more patience and composure in attacking positions, it might have been a bonus point victory such was their domination in the first half and the closing stages.

The introduction of Nick Mills and Rhys Thomas, both making their first starts of the season, added much-needed experience and leadership to the pack, while 17-year-old Dan Powell produced a promising performance at fly half. He got the line moving effectively, while his kicking from hand had the accuracy and depth to keep Torquay on the back foot.

Sidmouth kicked off and immediately regained possession to set up camp in the Torquay 22.The pressure created try-scoring opportunities, which were not taken. However, they deservedly took the lead after ten minutes with a Dan Powell penalty.

The Chiefs continued to enjoy territorial advantage, but lacked the control in the set pieces to capitalise until Tom Seward and Joe Briggs combined in a move to take play deep into the opposing 22, where they were awarded a lineout. The forwards won clean ball to set up a maul, which was driven over the line for Hayden Watene to touch down for an unconverted try.

Just before half-time Will Siddle crossed the line, after good work by the forwards, but lost the ball in the tackle. However, the pressure was rewarded in injury time with a second Powell penalty.

After the restart Torquay began to benefit from their strong scrummaging and a rising Sidmouth penalty count, to exert some concerted pressure for the first time. The home defence remained strong and Torquay had to be content with a penalty kicked by the scrum half.

This was soon matched by Powell’s third penalty, before the Torquay scrum half kicked a second one to keep his side in contention.

With ten minutes to go, victory was sealed for the Chiefs by a fine individual try from George Locke. The young centre had moved to full-back when a Torquay clearance kick gave him space to run down the left with support on hand. He didn’t need it as he sold two dummies on a 50 metres run into the corner. The conversion attempt was unsuccessful.

The Chiefs finished the match on the attack thanks to a powerful Siddle run following a turnover on halfway.

On Saturday the Chiefs travel to Truro.

At the Blackmore Field, the Quins entertain Buckfastleigh 1st Team kicking off at 3.00pm.

The Colts play Exmouth Colts at Sidford. The kick off on the Prettejohn Field is at 3.00pm.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Sidmouth Herald. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Sidmouth Herald