Rusties and juniors in action
Pictured above are runners up Linda Palmer and Gordon Blood with Rusties final winners Frances Ionov and Jon Glover, at Sidmouth Tennis Club, writes David Thorneley.
the Rusties section was formed from those adults either new to the game or coming back playing from a much earlier age. Jon had not played tennis at all until joining the group earlier in the year, though he had played badminton and table tennis for a number of years.
Coach Sue Wiltshire leads two sessions per week, with new entrants soon overcoming any nerves, and skill levels soon start to rise to the extent that competitive matches become established, culminating in the Rusties’ final. The success of the programme can clearly be seen by the club’s ladies’ B team, formed earlier this year, the members of which mainly comprise those that have graduated from the Rusties. Sue Wiltshire will be pleased to receive enquiries from prospective "Rusties" by phone on 07906 606811 or via email@example.com with full details of all the club`s activities to be found on sidmouthtennisclub.co.uk
?At the other end of the age scale, recent Flybe mini tournaments attracted eight players each.
Taylor Ingham-Hill was undefeated in the mini-orange. Harry Ensall, enjoyed tough opposition,winning three of his four matches, and having great battles with Exeter's Daniel Mountford and Matthew Rutter.
You may also want to watch:
In the Mini Red Flybe event, local boy Jed Ionov Flint continued to build up his matchplay experience, with Rose Bridges-Galvez.
competing in her first Flybe.
- 1 It's our time to share our fortune and 'do our bit' as we start to re-open
- 2 Hayman's Butchers 'had been my life' - Stewart Hayman
- 3 Sidmouth’s ‘overwhelming’ support for Wear a Hat fundraiser
- 4 There will be sunshine after the rain as the town re-opens
- 5 Virtual donkey day out on Easter Sunday
- 6 Rewarding first night back For Sidmouth Running Club
- 7 Ella's walks raise more than £3,000 for brain tumour research
- 8 Claire leaves political spotlight
- 9 Postie raises £6K for charity by walking 100 miles
- 10 Salston Manor Hotel plans given the go-ahead