Scrumpy heads pursuit race
LAST Monday it was decided to sail a pursuit race, which is a race of one hour with all the luggers on a handicap, writes John Mortimore.
Boats with the lowest handicap started first. There is a signal after 60 minutes and the first boat to the next mark is the winner. There was a moderate southerly wind blowing on a lumpy sea when seven luggers launched from the beach.
First away was the Katherine, followed by Little Wing and Puffin. Moondance, Scrumpy and Mary came next with the Percy Mitchell away last. They all completed the first round of the race in that order, except Moondance who fell behind Scrumpy and Mary.
During the second round Katherine still held the lead from Little Wing. Scrumpy had increased her lead from Mary. Puffin had some gear failure and lost the use of her mizzen sail.
As the race continued, Scrumpy went through to claim second position with the Katherine still ahead.
You may also want to watch:
Going to the windward mark in the fourth round Scrumpy overhauled the Katherine to take the lead.
When the signal sounded at 60 minutes, Scrumpy held on to first place and crossed the line in pole position.
- 1 Donkeys look forward to welcoming families back
- 2 Stephen's not afraid to get hands-on to keep business moving forward
- 3 Arboreturm volunteers make final plans for eventful tree week
- 4 Ottery Brownie leader set to run London Marathon
- 5 Two Sidmouth gardens set to open to the public this bank holiday
- 6 Double golfing success for the Sidmouth seniors
- 7 Plenty of case work picked up on campaign trail, but I'm happy to help
- 8 Here come the Red Arrows! Things are looking up for town
- 9 New team on frontline for mental health care and support
- 10 Stuart Hughes retains Sidmouth county council seat
Results: 1, Scrumpy – G Lockyer; 2, Katherine – M Diplock; 3, Little Wing – D Townsend; 4, Mary – D Boalch; 5, Percy Mitchell – K Gosling; 6, Moondance – G Pook; 7, Puffin – R Driver.