Sea Witch again - from start to finish
Monday s lugger race started off in a reasonable westerly wind but, throughout the evening, the wind dropped to a light air
Monday's lugger race started off in a reasonable westerly wind but, throughout the evening, the wind dropped to a light air.
There were two rounds of the course and nine luggers crossed the starting line together.
The first to show was Sea Witch with Cuckoo in hot pursuit.
Sea Witch arrived at the windward still in the lead from Cuckoo and Twilight away third.
You may also want to watch:
As the fleet began to spread out across the bay, Paul Vine, skipper of Sea Witch, still held pole position with Cuckoo pressing. Percy Mitchell came into view, overtaking Twilight for third position.
By this time, the wind began to fall away so the race officers decided to shorten the course.
- 1 High Street beckons for hobbyists emerging from lockdown
- 2 Two Sidmouth gardens set to open to the public this bank holiday
- 3 General Buller's statue in Exeter stay or go?
- 4 Here come the Red Arrows! Things are looking up for town
- 5 SRC mighty six take on Sid Valley Ring half-marathon
- 6 Property of the Week: Flat 2 Bedford
- 7 When it comes to our beach, its about taking responsibility for what we do
- 8 Mixed weekend for Sidmouth and Ottery Hockey
- 9 Ottery Primary pupils' pedal power shines through at hill climb
- 10 Stuart Hughes retains Sidmouth county council seat
Coming up with a run into the finishing line, the Cuckoo almost caught Sea Witch but finished up a few yards short.
This is the second week Sea Witch has led the race from start to finish.
Result: 1, Sea Witch sailed by P Vine; 2, Cuckoo (G Dart); 3, Percy Mitchell (D McCrea); 4. Twilight (O Bagwell); 5, Mary (D Boalch); 6, Scrumpy (G Lockyer); 7, Moondance (G Pook).
Katherine and Puffin were out of time.
Winner by handicap: Sea Witch.
By John Mortimore