Seaton bowlers serve up encouraging performances
There were encouraging performances both in mixed friendly matches and the men’s league match for Sidmouth bowlers, writes David Fairclough.
The final Sunday of October saw three mixed teams with a good balance of experienced players, and newer members, travel to Torbay.
Although losing the aggregate score by a narrow margin of 52-56, it was an enjoyable outing for all concerned. The winning rink was skipped by Mike Reader, supported by Kim Wright, Brenda Somerfield and Terry Rawlings. Their winning shot score was 24-14. Including two new members on their rink, they did the club proud!
Last Sunday saw Sidmouth welcome a mixed team from Chudleigh, playing over three rinks. This was a game played in a genuine friendly atmosphere, which continued in the bar afterwards. Sidmouth won on two rinks and drew on the third and secured an aggregate score of 68-46.
The best home rink was skipped by Bert Hague, ably supported by Lorna Lever, Susie Bonnell and Terry Rawlings. Their shot score was 30-13.
You may also want to watch:
Between the two mixed friendlies, the men played a midweek league match, over four rinks, twohome and two away, against Torquay United. The game was no less enjoyable than the mixed friendlies, but, with league points at stake far more competitive!
Half-term family commitments necessitated a number of team changes, but Sidmouth were still able to turn out a strong team, and picked up six points by way of two winning rinks. The home rink of Tony Brown, Garry Hargrave, Brian Smith and Bob Seldon won 27-24.
- 1 Here come the Red Arrows! Things are looking up for town
- 2 Now is the time to shop locally says Sidmouth artist
- 3 Masks scrapped 'as early as next month' and over 35s jabs 'soon'
- 4 First time in a year for Sidmouth's rugby youngsters
- 5 Public help needed to find wild violets around East Devon
- 6 Sidmouth electric car club survey launched
- 7 Talking Newspapers set to restart service
- 8 When it comes to our beach, its about taking responsibility for what we do
- 9 A tussle for the ages at Ottery Bowls
- 10 Property of the Week: Flat 2 Bedford
The away rink of Ray Tallent, Dave Lever, Ed Backhouse and skip Stuart Hamer won 22-18.