Seaton Town and Axminster Town set to merge to form one large football club.
SEATON TOWN and Axminster Town are set to merge to form an alliance that the pair hope will become a leading force in South West football, writes Oli Fopral.
The Tigers currently play in the South West Peninsula League, Eastern Division and Town compete in the Fresha, Devon and Exeter league, but have applied to make the step up to the level that Axminster Town play at next season.
The logic behind the merger is to be able to attract greater sponsorship and hopefully develop a whole new legion of East Devon coast football supporters.
Details of the merger are so advanced that a site for a new ground has already been identified between the towns of Axminster and Seaton and all is seems that remains is to come up with a suitable name for the new football club.
An Axminster spokesperson said: “We think it’s a superb idea, one that will, hopefully, take football in this area to levels we have not seen before. I think we can go on and take this new club to, at the very least, the Football Conference within a decade and then, well, the Football league has to be the ultimate target.”
You may also want to watch:
A Seaton Town official said: “The concept is sound, the thinking is futuristic and the whole logic behind it is underwhelming.”
- 1 Hayman's Butchers 'had been my life' - Stewart Hayman
- 2 It's our time to share our fortune and 'do our bit' as we start to re-open
- 3 Postie raises £6K for charity by walking 100 miles
- 4 Town is spruced up as excitement is in the air for future
- 5 Claire leaves political spotlight
- 6 Show of Art set to captivate Kennaway House visitors
- 7 The more we work together the better it will be
- 8 Sidmouth garden show to take place as lockdown eases
- 9 Golfing season underway at Sidmouth GC
- 10 Property of the Week: Ridgeway in Ottery St Mary