Sensational Sidmouth Warriors Under-13s see off high-flying Bideford Blues
- Credit: Archant
Sidmouth Warriors Under-13s dished up a superb display to become only the second team to defeat much-fancied Bideford Blues this season, beating them 5-3 after surviving something of a comeback when they had held a stunning 4-0 half-time lead.
Warriors were sensational in the first half and ran the North Devon side ragged. Given that Bideford Blues had previously won all four of their away games in the league this season, scoring 28 goals and conceding just three, the interval score must have come as a massive shock to players and coaching staff!
It was no fluke! George Gelling slammed a hat-trick with one of them coming after a wonderfully flighted Thomas Mead corner.
After the Gelling treble had the visitors on the back foot it was left to Josh Miller to provide the assist for Jack Howe to rifle home to fourth and give Warriors their amazing half-time lead.
After the break Bideford came back like the champion side they clearly are, they scored once, then again, and then a third to close the gap to just one goal. Warriors dug deep, defended well and showed tremendous spirit. Josh Miller, Calvin Clifford, Lewis McManus, Josh Haig, Toby Neumegan and Cameron Ward, all got stuck in to prevent any further goals being conceded. Goalkeeper Mark Rogers made some fine saves and showed real bravery and excellent handling skills. At the other end of the pitch young Mead continued to keep the Bideford back line on their toes and, it was from one Mead inspired raid that Gelling slotted his fourth and the Warriors’ fifth to complete the scoring.
You may also want to watch:
Warriors squad: Mark Rogers, Thomas Mead, Toby Neumegan, Jack Howe, Josh Haigh, Josh Miller, Calvin Clifford, George Gelling, Lewis McManus, Zac Jabri, Tim Doulton, Cameron Ward.
The outing was only the eighth of the Division One season for Warriors and they still have another 12 to play. This Saturday Warriors turn their attention to cup matters and the League Cup quarter-final tie at home to Copplestone United. The sides met in the league in early December at Copplestone and, on that occasion, shared six goals.
- 1 Stuart Hughes retains Sidmouth county council seat
- 2 Jess Bailey secures a seat at Devon County Council
- 3 Reid family follow in the footsteps of Sir Captain Tom
- 4 Hopes high that half marathon will be an annual event
- 5 Tributes paid to GP who dedicated 36 years to Sid Valley patients
- 6 Paedophile hunters' sting in Sidbury leads to prosecution
- 7 Ottery Primary pupils' pedal power shines through at hill climb
- 8 Demand for properties in Sidmouth is high as South West becomes more desirable
- 9 Town council vacancies to be filled at the ballot box
- 10 Otter Valley candidates get ready for County Council elections
In the last 16 of the League Cup Warriors won 7-0 against Wonford Galaxy with goals from Mead (3), Gelling (2), Doulton and Emmet.