Sharks in fine form
The Sid Vale Sharks travelled to Exmouth for a friendly swimming gala against Exeter, Kingsbridge, Devonport Royal and local rivals Exmouth. The gala was for age groups under 10s to U13s, writes John Beglin.
Although, classed as a friendly gala, all swimmers gave their best on the night. The gala was seen by coach Malcolm Black, as an ideal opportunity to introduce some younger swimmers to the competitive nature of racing at an away meet and all swam very well.
As it is not the biggest club in Devon the gala required a number of swimmers to swim outside their age groups in certain events. This is very hard for the swimmers as it is surprising how much difference a year can make particularly for the younger ones. Well done to all the swimmers who stepped up to the mark to obtain points for the team.
The following Saturday, the Sharks travelled to the Pyramids in Exeter for round 1 of the 2012 East Devon mini league against, Newton Abbot, Torquay, Dawlish, Exeter and Exmouth. Sidmouth are normally up against it in this league as all the teams are larger than ours.
However, a number of excellent performances resulted in wins on the night for swimmers Ed Bugler (50m backstroke and 100m Individual Medley U16), Jack Simmons (50m freestyle and 50m breaststroke U12) and the boys’ U16 200m Individual Medley relay and 200m Freestyle relay teams comprising, Joe Cox, Ed Bugler, Chris Goddard, Aaron Webber and Sam Cavin.
You may also want to watch:
On the night Sidmouth finished fifth but, as with the previous gala, Sidmouth again had swimmers competing in races, in some cases, two age groups above their age.
- 1 We're open again! Town's traders welcome back shoppers
- 2 Around the sitting room in 80 days with the amazing Diana, 98
- 3 Escot springs out of lockdown and they're wild about opening again
- 4 Stableford jewel for Sidmouth member
- 5 Rewarding first night back For Sidmouth Running Club
- 6 Young Vikings enjoy victory on the main pitch
- 7 It's our time to share our fortune and 'do our bit' as we start to re-open
- 8 Veterans called to muster in tribute to Prince Philip
- 9 Claire leaves political spotlight
- 10 Town is spruced up as excitement is in the air for future