Sheehan triumphs from large field to get crack at Lombard Trophy
- Credit: Archant
The Lombard Trophy PGA national pro-am qualifier was held at Sidmouth last Saturday, writes George Carr.
Carl Sheehan triumphed over a large field with a net 63 to win the privilege of partnering club professional Ben Thorn at Bovey Castle on June 28, where a good result could find them both contesting the final at Glen Eagles later in the year - a mouth watering prospect.
However, Carl will hope for a better start than he had on Saturday, when, after dropping seven shots in the first three holes, Bovey Castle and Glen Eagles must have seemed a long way off!
However, he steadied the ship with seven pars and a birdie on the far-from-easy 10th hole for a well deserved win for a fast improving golfer.
Ed Willis in second place, a shot behind on 64 will be rueing the bogeys he carded on 17 and 18.
You may also want to watch:
Lester Wimington’s commendably steady golf for a gross 67 earned him the third spot with Peter Crocombe, who had dropped only two shots at the turn, in fourth spot with a gross 68.
Last, but certainly not least, Will Hastie’s lowest gross score of 74 is surely worth a mention - well played gentlemen.
- 1 Sidmouth candidates looking for your vote at the County Council elections
- 2 Otter Valley candidates get ready for County Council elections
- 3 Town council vacancies to be filled at the ballot box
- 4 Three Barbaras and a dog move in at Lockyer Lodge
- 5 Can you help Ottery become plastic free?
- 6 Fundraising heroine Diana is sitting pretty at 98
- 7 Tributes paid to GP who dedicated 36 years to Sid Valley patients
- 8 Hotels are reopening soon - lets hope they can stay that way
- 9 Paedophile hunters' sting in Sidbury leads to prosecution
- 10 The return of Covid to the streets of Sidmouth, and what St George did next!