Sheila Skittrall takes the helm for Sidmouth ladies
In recent weeks, ladies’ day at the club has featured coffee and chat with little golf. This week, however, there has been much activity .
On Wednesday January 20, the ladies enjoyed a splendid lunch followed by the AGM.
County Silver and Bronze Medals were presented to Julie Lye and Ros Eaton, respectively, and they will play in the County Finals later in the year.
The highlight of the meeting was the appointment of Sheila Skittrall as the new lady captain and the outgoing captain, Ann Willoughby presented her with the badge of office. We all wish Sheila a most enjoyable year.
Hardly had the new captain been installed before the club celebrated its first success. On Friday, the Mail on Sunday team played Dawlish Warren in this National Competition and recorded a resounding victory of 4 to 1.
You may also want to watch:
Congratulations to the team of Penny Lyne, Marie Timms, Sheila Thomson, Margaret Deuce and Coral Roberts . They eagerly wait to hear of their opponents in the second round .
On Sunday, the club and ladies’ captains hosted the annual Drive - In .
- 1 Nicola hoping to inspire Sidmouth slimmers through weight loss
- 2 Sidmouth artist paints a picture of hope for the NHS
- 3 'It’s amazing how much you take for granted and how much we have to be grateful for'
- 4 'Follow the spirit of the lockdown restrictions'
- 5 Commemorative elm tree planted to mark National Tree Warden scheme's 30th anniversary
- 6 Police chase driver facing jail for 90mph pursuit in country lanes
- 7 17th century chest from Ottery manor to be auctioned
- 8 Free Zoom workshop for parents, carers and professionals during Lockdown
- 9 Retired GP's 'curated anthology' of fly fishing experiences
- 10 £12,500 donated to lockdown laptops for schools appeal
A Texas Scramble was played with a shotgun start. Ninety six cold, somewhat bleary-eyed golfers stood on the tees at 9 am, many questioning their sanity as they awaited the sound of the hooter to send them on their way.
Conditions soon improved and spirits were raised by sunshine and clear blue skies.
The team of Margot Beauchamp, Sheila Thomson, Liz Chance and Sheila Tallon were runners up in the ladies’ competition which was won by Yvonne Anning, Angela Coles, Ros Eaton and Jacqui Hills.
Normal business was resumed on Wednesday and a club Stableford was played.
Marie Timms scored 38 points to win, with Anna Bath in second place, with 34 points .