Sid 2nds’ title hopes take a knock
A SECOND reverse in two weeks has dented Sidmouth’s chances of regaining the Francis Clark Devon League 2nd XI Premier Division title, writes John Goodwin.
Bovey Tracey swept them aside by 82 runs to leapfrog their opponents into second place in the table, four points behind leaders Exeter.
After Nick Mansfield landed an early, but expensive wicket, Bovey got quick runs on the board, but the spin of Charlie Dibble and Dominic Bess saw them dismissed for 202 with two overs of the 50 quota left.
Dibble took 4-49 and Bess 3-61 to cause Bovey to slip from 126-2 to 169-8.
Sidmouth’s next wave of off-spin, delivered by Charlie Miles and Saj Patidar, claimed the final two wickets.
You may also want to watch:
The home reply started disastrously with openers Matt Hewer and Dan Powell dismissed with one, courtesy of a no-ball, on the board.
Declan Lines was out, also without scoring, at 17 with the runs coming from Saj Patidar’s bat.
- 1 It's our time to share our fortune and 'do our bit' as we start to re-open
- 2 Hayman's Butchers 'had been my life' - Stewart Hayman
- 3 There will be sunshine after the rain as the town re-opens
- 4 Virtual donkey day out on Easter Sunday
- 5 Further improvements for Sidmouth Town FC
- 6 Sidmouth’s ‘overwhelming’ support for Wear a Hat fundraiser
- 7 Claire leaves political spotlight
- 8 Rewarding first night back For Sidmouth Running Club
- 9 Town is spruced up as excitement is in the air for future
- 10 Salston Manor Hotel plans given the go-ahead
He went on to 50, watching a succession of partners depart cheaply, before being run out in a misunderstanding with Dominic Bess.
A second run out saw Bess removed and although there was a gesture of resistance from tail enders Mansfield, Fionn Wardrop and Dibble, Sidmouth were all out with 14 overs still to be bowled.
Phil Barraclough was Bovey’s most successful bowler with 4-21, but Mark Gribble turned in the tightest spell with 1-6 in eight and a half overs, six of which were maidens.
Plympton are the team’s opponents tomorrow at the Fort Field.