Sid and Otter junior football round-up

On paper this Devon Cup match should have been a formality for St Martin s U13s, who lie second in Division one. But STJV U13s are made of sterner stuff and took them all the way to penalties, writes Matt Bray.

On paper this Devon Cup match should have been a formality for St Martin's U13s, who lie second in Division one. But STJV U13s are made of sterner stuff and took them all the way to penalties, writes Matt Bray.

The first half saw the back line of Harrison Astley-Jones, Christian Newman, Barney Stone and Daley Denning defusing the St Martin's attack, with excellent goal keeping from Jake Harrison. Jamie Briggs distributed well to Zak Smith on the left and Callum Bray on the right linked up very well with Matt Tipton. Up front Dan Powell battled physically throughout with the St Martin's defence.

St Martin's scored after 30 minutes but Sidmouth came back quickly when Matt Tipton passed to Dan Powell who beat the keeper one on one.

After the break, Chris Willows came on for Junior O'Brien who had worked hard in midfield. After a Sidmouth shot went wide, St Martins went 2-1 up, but a tireless Callum Bray fed Matt Tipton who took a beautiful goal to make it 2-2 at full time.

You may also want to watch:

After 10 minutes each way extra time nothing could separate these battling teams with Joe Gosse coming close to clinching it. And so to penalties. With Jake Harrison pulling off some magnificent saves it was all square at 3-3 and sudden death.

In the end St Martins won 5-4, a terrible way to lose after such an excellent performance.

Most Read

Sidmouth Town JV U11s lost 3-1 away to Exwick in a tough match, writes Jo Newbery.

From the start it was end to end stuff. Harvey Sargent had an outstanding game covering the whole pitch. Jonny Dunn had a brilliant first half, winning every header, and he was unlucky to see a shotcome back off the crossbar.

Sidmouth took the lead when Alex Stone found Freddie King whose strong run and shot found the corner. Joe Miller had to make two good saves and Jamie Newbery worked hard getting in crucial tackles as sweeper.

Connor Murphy set up Dunn to deservedly make it 2-0. Just before half time, Exwick pulled a goal back when a scramble saw a Sidmouth own goal.

The second half saw both sides play great football, but Sidmouth went further in front when Billy Rudolph's superb cross was controlled and finished by Roel Ruigrok with a great shot into the corner. Sam Hicks also found Ruigrok but his shot was saved. Sidmouth ran out deserved winners, but it was a great game from both teams.

Sidmouth Town JV u15s beat Broadclyst 8-0 to record their first win of the season, writes Jamie Newbery.

Early pressure was rewarded when Harry Nolan scored.

Sidmouth continued to push forward and were rewarded when a Broadclyst defender put into his own net. Jon Bastyan, Nolan, Joe Neild and Ollie Tollerfield bossed the midfield and Bastyan hit a perfect half volley into the roof of the net.

Broadclyst scored another own goal to make it 4-0 at half time. In the second half Sidmouth started strongly, Barnsy scoring two goals, Tom Gibbs lobbed the keeper with a good chip and Nolan completed the scoring. Man of the Match was Tom Gibbs, who defended well and scored a good goal.

The derby match of the season, between two Sidmouth sides of the same age Sidmouth Warriors U12s and Sidmouth Raiders ended 2-1 in Warriors' favour, writes Cath Sage.

It was the match all the players and supporters had been waiting for and it proved to be well worth the wait.

High quality football was demonstrated by both teams. The Raiders broke the deadlock after half time with a goal from Dan Swain.

The shots and chances came equally for both teams giving the keepers, Adam Bartlett and Toby Lee, plenty of work by making some excellent saves.

Joe Taylor equalised for the Warriors followed by George Peacock taking them into the lead by adding another. The Parents' Man of the Match for the Raiders was shared between Mark Pearce, who, as usual, was solid in defence and Toby Lee who had a great game making some inspired saves.

It was an unbelievably close match played in a great spirit with the boys, supporters and coaches all behaving impeccably!

sidmouth Town JV u9 raiderS beat Whipton Youth 2-1 in a cup match, having met them in the league last week, writes Martin Spiller.

The Raiders knew Whipton would be fighting back in this cup game and they scored in the first few minutes.

After that, Raiders took control with some great defending from Thomas Burhop and Luke Spiller. Just before half time Louis Adey found a gap and shot only for it to rebound off a defender. He tried again, it rebounded off the goalkeeper but third time lucky he scored, making it 1-1 at half time.

The second half saw the Raiders in control. Five minutes before full time, Ben Goodier took the ball up the left, passed to Spiller who got the winning goal.

Man of Match was Thomas Burhop for his determination in defence. Raiders, your manager and parents are proud of your team work, well done.

Sidmouth Warriors U10's cup dream is over after they were well beaten by an impressive Countess Wear team that stamped their authority on the game from the kick off, writes Simon Jones.

If it hadn't been for excellent saves by Tobi Pugsley and strong defending by Matt Jones and Kade Hayman, the defeat could have been a lot worse than 3-1.

Warriors scored, against the run of play, midway through the first half with a thunderbolt from Hayman. Sidmouth held on 'til midway through the second half when constant pressure finally paid off for CW Dynamos, who equalised. Two goals in the last three minutes stopped the game going into extra time with the Dynamos getting their just desserts.

We can now focus on the league. Forget this one boys, remember Exmouth!

Sidmouth Town JV U9s Warriors beat Honiton Sharks 5-1, letting fly in their first round cup match, writes Justin Ashby

They produced their best football of the season and quickly established a 1-0 lead. Jay Harris slotted home after powerful wing play by Lucas Richardson.

The lead was soon extended with a goal that rewarded the boys' hard work in training. A passing move, involving all outfield players, was finished off by Jack Miller, without a Honiton player touching the ball.

Before half-time, James Emmett squeezed in a third from an impossible angle before Honiton scored a freak goal with virtually their only shot of the match.

Normal service was resumed in the second half with plenty of last-ditch defending in the Sharks' penalty area.

The Warriors defensive line of Ben Plowden, Toby Garrick and James Emmett were virtual spectators. Lucas Richardson put himself on the score-sheet to make it 4-1 and Jay Harris scored to wrap-up the victory.

Louis Spalding was at the centre of the Warriors' passing game, and William Ashby showed good composure on both wings.

The Warriors now visit Dawlish for a place in the quarter finals.

Sidbury U16s are in the draw for the next round of the league cup after a victory over a good Crediton side, writes Julie Logan.

Being without their regular goalkeeper it was always going to be a tough task, but one the boys rose to with enthusiasm and commitment.

Sidbury started very well and Harry Wright headed United into the lead with just four minutes gone. It was soon 2-0 after Todd Lewendon got behind the Crediton defence and beat the keeper comfortably.

After a blistering twenty minutes when United really should have added more goals, Crediton got more into the game and created several chances. Defenders Ben Logan, Connor Long, Kieran Murphy and Aaron Pearse coped well at the back and cancelled out many Crediton counter-attacks.

United were 2-0 up at the break but Crediton finished the half on the up.

Zac Mattin, Hamish Culling, Rob Mansfield and Bill Reed did everything asked of them in midfield and from their pressing, Harry Wright scored.

Jack Murrell and Matt Broom came on in the second half and did well. With just 10 minutes remaining, Cody Northcott smashed in the fourth from the edge of the box. Crediton pulled one back at the death from a well taken corner.

Well done to both teams who played the match in the true spirit of the game.

Special thanks to Ben Kidson and Cody Northcott who both volunteered their services and did very well between the posts, and to referee Rob Thorne, who officiated well.

After getting a bit of a knock-back in the league last weekend, the Sidmouth Town JV U10 Raiders could have been forgiven for coming into this game with their heads hung low. However, from the moment the ball was kicked-off until the final whistle was blown, they played with desire, skill and intelligence, beating Stoke Hill Rangers 3-1, writes Phil Vellender.

The Raiders were on the attack from the off and it wasn't long before the Raiders managed to open the scoring.

Scott Hughes received the ball in the opposition half and fired an unstoppable shot that flew past the goalie. Within minutes the lead was doubled when Reuben Raffell managed to find the back of the net in a similar move.

Then came the best moment, which involved a number of Raiders players and resulted in Jack Gibson crossing from the right for Drew to poke the ball into the goal.

Stoke Hill managed to get one back on the stroke of half time when a shot from wide left, unfortunately, looped over Jordan and into the net.

The second half was a more even affair. Both teams created opportunities, but ultimately good defending managed to prevent the attacking team from adding to their tally.

This was a much improved performance from the Raiders and really showed how well they can play. Very well done boys.

Team: Drew Birkhead, Jack Gibson, Toby Gilbody, Adam Harris, Scott Hughes, Jordan Parsons, Reuben Raffell, Jack Silk, Gabe Stamp, Joe Tweedy.

"Following Sidmouth's Town JV U16s' 7-1 defeat against Pinhoe two weeks ago this Juventus Cup match was a valiant and outstanding team performance," said manager Shane Burke.

Pinhoe opened the scoring after five minutes, however Sidmouth maintained the possession throughout the first half and were rewarded by a goal in injury time by Jules Hudson, writes Marc Colson.

Sidmouth's second came from a blistering break from the halfway line by Tim Lister who crossed in to Hudson who slotted a real pleaser past the keeper.

Pinhoe applied pressure and defenders Tom Clay and Matt Colson cleared the ball from the goal line to stop Pinhoe going ahead.

A quick throw-in saw Hudson chip onto Lister's head for the third goal and Man of the Match Hudson completed his hat-trick with a sensational strike.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus