Sid ladies head for county semi finals
- Credit: Archant
SIdmouth Indoor Bowls Club has more successes to report in county competitions, write Marion and Maurice Watson.
The ladies’ four, Marian Watson, Sue Mison, Zena Johnson and skip Jill Bishop played a nail-biting game against a team from Madeira, on the neutral rink at Isca, in the Section 3 final.
Although the underdogs on paper they led throughout until the 21st and last end when the Madeira ladies drew level. The extra end saw Sidmouth gain the one shot they needed to win and they now go forward to play in the county semi finals at Plymouth in March. Well done ladies.
In the men’s county singles Ron Cook had a tough game but won against an opponent from Exonia and has progressed to the third round.
A men’s friendly fixture at home against Budleigh produced a win by two rinks to one and overall 65-55. The most successful rink for Sidmouth was Ed Backhouse, Mike Daw, Dutch Holland and skip Mike Reader.
You may also want to watch:
In the ladies’ Foxlands competition against Axminster, Sidmouth won both rinks at home and one of the two away. An excellent result as some of the regular players had to drop out and their places were taken by those who do not normally play in that competition. The best rink, playing at home, was Pat Ashton Pritchard, Jan Jameson- Bates, Jean Green and skip Chris Hamer.
Chudleigh were the visitors in a mixed friendly and were successful on two of the three rinks enabling them to win the game by four shots.
- 1 First time in a year for Sidmouth's rugby youngsters
- 2 Now is the time to shop locally says Sidmouth artist
- 3 Here come the Red Arrows! Things are looking up for town
- 4 Masks scrapped 'as early as next month' and over 35s jabs 'soon'
- 5 Public help needed to find wild violets around East Devon
- 6 Sidmouth electric car club survey launched
- 7 Talking Newspapers set to restart service
- 8 Property of the Week: Flat 2 Bedford
- 9 Jess Bailey secures a seat at Devon County Council
- 10 A tussle for the ages at Ottery Bowls
The winning rink for the home team was Chris Radburn, Ron Denning, Sylvia Cook and skip Ron Cook.