Sid Valley youngsters offered great opportunity to get into tennis
- Credit: Archant
Youngsters looking to start playing tennis can take advantage of a six-week programme specifically designed to be fun-based for children.
It stems from an LTA (Lawn Tennis Association) initiative to introduce tennis to younger players the length and breadth of the country.
Local coaches Sue Wiltshire and Daryl Bass are working with the LTA in the Sid Valley region to deliver their annual Tennis for Kids programme.
Daryl Bass says: “We are working with the LTA to introduce more than 20,000 new children nationally to the sport by giving them free coaching and a free tennis racket.”
The two coaches are offering two free six-week coaching courses for 10 children who are new to tennis. Every child that completes the course will be given their own free tennis racket.
You may also want to watch:
Course one is for the ages four-to-six-year-olds and will take place at Sidmouth Tennis Club on a Saturday morning from 9.15am to 10.15am.
Course two is for youngsters aged from six to eight and this is being held each Friday (4pm to 5pm) at Sidford Tennis Club.
- 1 Sidmouth artist paints a picture of hope for the NHS
- 2 Nicola hoping to inspire Sidmouth slimmers through weight loss
- 3 'It’s amazing how much you take for granted and how much we have to be grateful for'
- 4 17th century chest from Ottery manor to be auctioned
- 5 'Follow the spirit of the lockdown restrictions'
- 6 Commemorative elm tree planted to mark National Tree Warden scheme's 30th anniversary
- 7 Free Zoom workshop for parents, carers and professionals during Lockdown
- 8 Police chase driver facing jail for 90mph pursuit in country lanes
- 9 £12,500 donated to lockdown laptops for schools appeal
- 10 Lottery funding for fishermen's shed project
(Please note that the first session for both courses will be held on Sunday, April 23, followed by either the Friday or Saturday times weekly)
Spaces are limited and so to sign up just go onto the LTA website www.lta.org.uk or go onto the website www.clubspark.lta.org.uk/tennisforkids to register directly.
The six-week programme has been specially designed to be fun-based for the children whilst teaching them a range of tennis and general co-ordination skills. Sue Wiltshire applied, and was chosen, to deliver this specialist coaching which involved on court instruction from some of the Davis Cup Team – including the GB Captain Leon Smith.