Sidbury defeat Cerne Abbas to win Branscombe Apple Pie competition
- Credit: Archant
Ottery St Mary Short Mat Bowls Club welcomed 16 Teams of four players to the Annual Branscombe Apple Pie Competition, writes Bridget Hallowes. Local teams were joined by fellow bowlers from all over Devon, Dorset and Somerset for this popular Charity event, held in aid of the Devon Air Ambulance.
A recently purchased bowls mat was christened and used as a challenge for all!
After some highly competitive games during the day the eventual winners were the local team from Sidbury, who beat a team from Cerne Abbas, both teams won all their games and the winner was decided on shot difference.
The organising committee would like to thank all club members who helped on the day, and the participating bowlers for a splendid effort in raising £500 for Devon Air Ambulance. The presentation of the cheque will follow shortly.
To all readers if you would like to try a new challenge, short mat bowls, can provide you with a good way of getting gentle exercise together with pleasant company, and anyone is welcome to come along and try the game.
You may also want to watch:
All you will need is flat soled footwear (slippers) and there is no charge for your Taster Session. Bowls are available.
For those that may need coaching this is available, we play at the Institute on Monday evenings 7pm to 10pm and Wednesday mornings 10am till 12 noon.
- 1 Sidmouth artist paints a picture of hope for the NHS
- 2 Nicola hoping to inspire Sidmouth slimmers through weight loss
- 3 'It’s amazing how much you take for granted and how much we have to be grateful for'
- 4 'Follow the spirit of the lockdown restrictions'
- 5 Commemorative elm tree planted to mark National Tree Warden scheme's 30th anniversary
- 6 17th century chest from Ottery manor to be auctioned
- 7 Police chase driver facing jail for 90mph pursuit in country lanes
- 8 Free Zoom workshop for parents, carers and professionals during Lockdown
- 9 Retired GP's 'curated anthology' of fly fishing experiences
- 10 Lottery funding for fishermen's shed project
Picture of the winning team, Roy and Mary Vincent and Doug and Veda French.