Sidbury launch new season with another win after fine all-round show
- Credit: Archant
Sidbury continued where they left off at the end of last season, defeating all that come before them as they began the new, albeit much shortened, Devon league campaign with an emphatic success over visiting Topsham St James II.
The 10-man visitors won the toss and opted to bat and were soon 37-5 from which they never recovered and they ended up all out for 74 after 27.3 overs.
The home catching was a feature on the day with seven catches held, two each by Alex Paget and Dave O’Connor and one each by Barney Stone, Simon Rowe and Ben Pollard.
Sidbury used six bowlers and all but one claimed at least one wickets with the figures being; Alex Paget (2-12), Josh Reed (2-4), Chris Fitzhenry (2-16), barney Stone (1-20) and Dave O’Connor (1-7).
Sidbury needed just 14 overs to wrap up an eight wicket. Indeed it was almost a perfect success as openers Ben Pollard and Mark Bishop saw the scores level before Pollard fell to the 48th ball he received, clean bowled having score 44. Bishop, who ended unbeaten on 27 at the close, was joined by Ed Chesters who suffered a second ball duck, but next man in, Will Foster, took a look at his first two deliveries before rifling the third to the boundary to seal victory.
You may also want to watch:
Tomorrow (Saturday) Sidbury travel to face Kentisbeare II.
- 1 Sidmouth candidates looking for your vote at the County Council elections
- 2 Three Barbaras and a dog move in at Lockyer Lodge
- 3 Town council vacancies to be filled at the ballot box
- 4 Otter Valley candidates get ready for County Council elections
- 5 Fundraising heroine Diana is sitting pretty at 98
- 6 Hotels are reopening soon - lets hope they can stay that way
- 7 Art shop thanks customers who have shown support
- 8 The return of Covid to the streets of Sidmouth, and what St George did next!
- 9 Paedophile hunters' sting in Sidbury leads to prosecution
- 10 Tributes paid to GP who dedicated 36 years to Sid Valley patients