Sidbury sunk at home by Witheridge and lose top spot in the process
- Credit: Archant
Sidbury United 1, Witheridge 2 Sidbury suffered only a third defeat of the season and also lost top spot in the Fresha League One table as fourth placed Witheridge went home with the points.
The game starting with Sidbury having all the possession, but they struggled to get in behind a very well-drilled Witheridge defence.
It was the away side who took the lead with their only attack of the half when a long ball found the striker who lobbed `keeper Keast from 20-yards.
Sidbury responded well an enjoyed long periods of possession, but without finding a way through the defensive line!
After the break it was more of the same Sidbury pressing and the visitors happy to sit back, soak up pressure, and hit back on the counter!
You may also want to watch:
The equaliser owed much to the guile of Ash Small as he swivelled in the area before firing home.
If the home faithful thought that that would see their side go onto claim all three points they were to be left disappointed for, with 10 minutes remaining a quick throw from found the Withy winger who delivered a telling cross that two United defenders went for and, as often happens in such cases, neither got there and it fell kindly to an unmarked visiting player who thumped it home at the far post for what proved to be the winning goal.
- 1 Sidmouth candidates looking for your vote at the County Council elections
- 2 Otter Valley candidates get ready for County Council elections
- 3 Town council vacancies to be filled at the ballot box
- 4 Can you help Ottery become plastic free?
- 5 Three Barbaras and a dog move in at Lockyer Lodge
- 6 Tributes paid to GP who dedicated 36 years to Sid Valley patients
- 7 Build Back Fairer by supporting Fairtrade in Sidmouth
- 8 Fundraising heroine Diana is sitting pretty at 98
- 9 The return of Covid to the streets of Sidmouth, and what St George did next!
- 10 Hotels are reopening soon - lets hope they can stay that way
United boss Jeremy Schofield said: “I am gutted. That result is hard to take. We did everything but score and yet our defending was such that perhaps we deserved what we got from the game! They (Witheridge) had a game plan, and, to be fair to them, it worked. They defended well. Hopefully we’ll learn fro this and come back stronger.”