Sidbury Under-10 girls defeat East Devon
- Credit: Archant
Sidbury Under-10 girls’ were worthy winners when they met East Devon Girls’ in what turned out to be a close encounter of the thrilling kind played throughout in splendid sunshine.
Sidbury batted first, but the East Devon girls kept the home team under tight control with some terrific bowling and support fielding, particularly over the first eight overs which put the home batters under real pressure.
Cleo Turley and Kyra Stout then stepped up the pace with 16 off their first over including a six and two fours. They were followed by Esme Bagwell and Lucy Tanner who managed one huge six and the pair were also very good at running between the wickets, helping the score to keep ticking along.
The end result of the Sidbury efforts was that East Devon needed 269 to force victory.
Tight bowling from Daisy Grove, Immy Bagwell, Ellie Wood and Ellie Monro Higgs led to East Devon scoring just 24 from their opening eight overs.
You may also want to watch:
The next four overs saw the visiting side open up and they struck two sixes and a brace of fours. It all meant that, with four overs remaining, East Devon required 27 to win.
The last two batters made steady progress and reached the start of the final over needing five runs to win.
- 1 Donkeys look forward to welcoming families back
- 2 Stephen's not afraid to get hands-on to keep business moving forward
- 3 Arboreturm volunteers make final plans for eventful tree week
- 4 Two Sidmouth gardens set to open to the public this bank holiday
- 5 Double golfing success for the Sidmouth seniors
- 6 Beer Albion celebrate football pitch funding success
- 7 Joma Devon and Exeter League results and fixtures
- 8 Ottery Brownie leader set to run London Marathon
- 9 Here come the Red Arrows! Things are looking up for town
- 10 New team on frontline for mental health care and support
That last over was bowled by Lucy Tanner and she managed to take a wicket with her third delivery which increased the required run total to 10 from three balls.
The East Devon girls responded well and sent the next ball to the boundary meaning they needed six off the last two balls. They managed four which left Sidbury girls winning by two runs!
Sidbury’s David Munro-Higgs said: “It’s a big thanks to the East Devon Girls U10 team for coming over and making it such a great day and a great competition. We look forward to the return match on July 12.”
Sidbury Juniors also played Whimple producing, of all things, a draw!
Alfie Nicholls was named the Sidbury Man of the Match and the Sidbury boys Under-10s also played Honiton who proved to be a very good side and duly won the game.